McAfee Firewall & trojans

Riccall One 13:48 14 Apr 2005

I am working Windows 98 and have had McAfee firewall installed for over a year with very few problems. I recently upgraded to Broadband and I suffered all kinds of Trojans etc since then. Which I understood should be stopped by the firewall. The main one I get is downloader.dr or ME. I carry out a virus scan and they get cleaned but seem to return in quick succession. Could and body give any advise, please.

andrew-196854 15:03 14 Apr 2005

have you tried updating windows 98 only an idea also are you using programs such as spybot search & destoy etc aswell as your antivirus program

Riccall One 16:09 14 Apr 2005

I don't have spyboy search & destroy I have Ad-Aware SE and Spyware Nuker 2005, I did have this problem with trojans and got the spywear to see if that helped, alas it did not.

rawprawn 16:14 14 Apr 2005

Try cleaning out in safe mode.

andrew-196854 16:17 14 Apr 2005

i take it you are uptodate with windows 98 then ?? you could try spybot search & destroy from here click here don t forget to update it and immunize it hope this helps

Riccall One 16:32 14 Apr 2005

Thanks to rawprawn, I did clean in safe mode and this worked for two days and then they returned, I will try again.

Thanks to dibblydufess, I am uptodate with Windows 98 and will try you suggestion and see how I go from there. Many Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?