McAfee firewall confusion

0000jb0000 16:24 14 Jul 2004

Hi I'm new to this firewall business!! I have just installed McAfee firewall plus, but it keeps coming up 'grant access' or ' block access' How do I know what to allow and what to stop? The names of things are all new to me!! What is 'Peer points manager' and 'P2P networking'? The jargon is confusing. Is there a site somewhere that tells you what these things are? Help!!!

hillybilly 16:35 14 Jul 2004

'Peer points manager' and 'P2P networking'? That jargon, as you put it has arrived on your PC because you use something called "Kazara"

I would suggest you should have read very carefully the terms and conditions of that company before you signed up. Basically I think you'll find that every time you connect to the net those items want to send out a message telling the world you are on line and inviting every pop up going! sorry if that sounds like a rant, it's not meant to but i think it is correct.

Shas 17:20 14 Jul 2004

I think P2P is something to do with music sharing over the net, but I'm not sure. I let McAfee 'allow' anything that needs to connect to get updates, i.e. AV, spybot, adaware, my ISP, my online banking software for statements etc., mostly anything that I recognise and that needs to connect to update. You can always remove the block if you decide you want to allow something at any time. I've had no problems so far, (not speaking too soon I hope!)

By the way, don't be alarmed if you get a large amount of blocked 'events' in the summary - I'm told these are mostly harmless and the firewall is doing its job by blocking them. Turn off the slide-in alert box and ignore them. I've had as many as 1100 in one day before now.

LillyValley 17:39 14 Jul 2004

Think of 'P2P Networking' as a peer-to-peer type of network, where computer resources are shared equally by all the computers in a network, in this instance being the Internet, the largest network.
Therefore you can 'share' files, ie music files, etc across the internet and it's used by Kazaa users.
Having said that, you don't have to use P2P Networking,unless you're on Kazaa sharing files, in fact you can end the process in Task Manager (Task Manager-->Processes-->P2P Networking.exe and 'end process'). Actually, you don't need Kazaa at start up, it can be manually started when you're on-line, but beware of viruses an spyware when you're on Kazaa and whilst using P2P because you're very exposed. Hence, the good use of a reliable firewall.

Read more about Kazaa and P2P here
click here

Hope this helps.
:-)

LillyValley 17:40 14 Jul 2004

Think of 'P2P Networking' as a peer-to-peer type of network, where computer resources are shared equally by all the computers in a network, in this instance being the Internet, the largest network.
Therefore you can 'share' files, ie music files, etc across the internet and it's used by Kazaa users.
Having said that, you don't have to use P2P Networking,unless you're on Kazaa sharing files, in fact you can end the process in Task Manager (Task Manager-->Processes-->P2P Networking.exe and 'end process'). Actually, you don't need Kazaa at start up, it can be manually started when you're on-line, but beware of viruses an spyware when you're on Kazaa and whilst using P2P because you're very exposed. Hence, the good use of a reliable firewall.

Read more about Kazaa and P2P here
click here

Hope this helps.
:-)

LillyValley 17:41 14 Jul 2004

Sorry, my post went twice. My firewall is doing it's job too well :D

0000jb0000 09:57 15 Jul 2004

Thanks for your help. Where do I find task manager, I'm running windows 98se. And how do I delete Kazaa? It seems to have taken over my pc. I'll throttle my 17year old for this?

Shas 10:10 15 Jul 2004

To access Task Manager, press Control + Alt + Delete all at the same time. A box appears in the centre of your screen showing running processes. Highlight the one you don't want and click on End Task. You could also look in msconfig (Start > run > msconfig > ok) and see if there's any mention in the StartUp list.

As for deleting Kazaa, see if it's listed in Add/Remove programmes in Control Panel. If not, check programme files etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?