McAfee Firewall

chrismuir 18:09 28 Sep 2003

Hi

I have installed Firewall v 3.03 and selected it to filter all internet traffic. Everytime I select outlook express, I get pop up message 'Mcafee Firewall Communications Alert' stating that the program is trying to access the internet (same for MS Messenger and also Mcaffee Updater). I selected these programs to be allowed to access ths internet, but it seems that everytime they do I am still asked if I will allow them to. Its getting annoying, anything I can do, other than disabling the firewall which seems counter-productive...

Chris

-pops- 19:18 28 Sep 2003

Throw it away and install a firewall that doesn't need its hand holding every time it does something. There are plenty of free ones available - a quick look on these pages will soon show them. Outpost is my favourite. click here Use the free version.

Pauper 22:11 28 Sep 2003

I am currently using version 4 so this may sound a little vague as I can't give specific directions within the program, but.......Go to the options page in the firewall user interface by double clicking the icon in your task bar, find your way to the section which deals with programs accessing the internet ('Control internet programs? in version 4), highlight the particular program you need, then select 'Allow this program to have full access to the internet'. This should resolve your problem, occasionally however this approach does not work, if the program still throws up an alert, go to the same page in the interface and choose to 'Add' a program to the list, then just browse to the program on your hard-drive and, as before, make sure you 'Allow this program to have full access to the internet'. The user interface is well presented so you should have no problem finding your way around.

This program is not acting in a way which requires its 'hand holding', but is actively seeking to learn the programs on your pc which not only require access to the internet, but you are happy to allow......as well as those which you do not. This form of protection is vital if you should be unfortunate enough to pick up a Trojan type program which tries to transmit data concerning your pc, the transmission will be intercepted by the firewall and the same alert you see now displayed to warn you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?