McAfee 4.51 slowing down W98SE laptop

johnem 21:30 04 Feb 2006

Evening gang, back for a little more advice. My aged W98SE laptop is running McAfee 4.51, which seems to be slowing the sytem down, I was thinking of trying Avast. Firstly is this compatable with W98Se and secondly, will it be as resource hungry as McAfee?

woodchip 21:48 04 Feb 2006

I use Avast on my XP Laptop and XP Desktop. The free version. But on my Win98se computer I use a spacial AV that you cannot get now it only works with Win98se and never needs Dat files or updates Never had a Virus on it in 11 years

johnem 21:50 04 Feb 2006

Woodchip, do I take it from yuor reply that Avast is not suitable for W98SE?

woodchip 21:58 04 Feb 2006

No I have The one on 98 as I Have had this from Win95 same AV. Avast should be OK on 98. But if I could use the one I have on 98se on XP I would do, but it only works with Win 9 Computers. I payed out £50 for it way back when running 95b

johnem 22:11 04 Feb 2006

Thanks for the update Woodchip, I will give Avast a try.

Piot57 22:42 04 Feb 2006

Isn't it odd that both products owned by DIGITAL RIVER make such a mess of our programes. is it we're using Eng. Eng. as opposed to US Eng? Or that we're being ripped off by same company (and these aren't the only two Dig River own: they're into Spam Spotters, Junk, Spoof, anything to do with e-mail, they are there. They are insidious. Like a spider sucking juices and power out of the web.)
Who ever heard of a brand new, never before run computer having , wait for it, 473 error messages in 23 e-mails!? Who's making it up? DR is making a nice pile of money out of some-one. How can we avoid them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?