Mc Afee Internet Security causes PC to crash

synthasy 21:16 01 Jul 2003

Hi all,

This is the second time i have tried installing McAfee Internet Securtiy 5.0 and both times i have the same problem.

Installation goes fine and is quick, but once installed my PC randomly hangs/freezes when using IE or OE, tried Restarting and switching all Firewalls/Securtity options off, and still no go. So i uninstalled it via Add/Remove programmes, and then i got all sorts of missing .DLL files and other messages popping up onStart up (related to not being able to locate McAfee) and then i caould get absolutley no internet access and no incoming/outgoing mail until i did a System restore and now everything is ok.

I have decied to forget trying to install it again, so would like some advice on a good Firewall, that is very easy to operate and will not give me any of the above problems.

Thanks

DieSse 21:28 01 Jul 2003

I wouldn't touch MacAfee with a bargepole, after several similar disasters I've had to deal with.

For excellent Firewalls - Sygate - Zone Alarm, Outpost, see the Downloads section in the headings. I personally use Sygate - trouble free and easy to install and understand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone