MBR error

jg1990 23:52 10 Jan 2007

Evening all,

I've got a bit of trouble with a laptop conisistantly not booting and getting an MBR error. Basically after the machine POSTS the screen goes blank and just says "MBR Error, please F11 to fix"......pressing F11 doesn't make a difference.

Ive booted off the xp cd and ran repair and tried to repair the mbr using box fixmbr, I've tried chkdsk, reformatting the hd, all to no avail. Basically when I run fixmbr it says that it cannot due to some problem with the disk, i consistantly get this error with everything I try.

Please please help me as I'm at my wits end!

Many Thanks, James

terryf 00:51 11 Jan 2007

Could you use Belarc to find out drive details then download drive diagnostic programs from mfr website

jg1990 00:54 11 Jan 2007

Hi terryf,

unfortunately no, as I can't get into windows, it just constantly stops at the "MBR error, press f11 to fix"

I know the drive is a hitachi and have had a look at theirr website but am not sure which utility I actually need...

...any ideas?

Cheers, James

ForestChav 02:03 11 Jan 2007

HDD is probably dead.

If you're sure it's a Hitachi, how old is it? They had a bad batch about 4 years ago (just before I bought one!) that just clicked then died.

Diagnostic utility is here.
click here

jg1990 13:00 11 Jan 2007

Thanks for you replies,

at first I thought that the hd must be dead, but then I had second thoughts because I was able to format the disk from the command line from the xp repair thing. When I did this the disk formatted fine with no problems, but the problem is still here!!

I've now downloaded an army of various boot disks to see if I can salvage the hard drive!!

Thanks, James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?