MBR Error 1

swapper 06:07 31 Dec 2007

I have been having trouble with F1 at start up
"Press F1 to continue or Del to enter set up."

After various attempts, I took advice and reset the BIOS to Default (after taking Photographs of each screen).
No when I attempot to start, I get the messeage "MBR Error 1 - Press any key to boot from Floppy"

I have a Acronis CD Backup, to do a restore, have changed loading to CD 1st. but still get this message. any suggestions please?
TIA

swapper 06:58 31 Dec 2007

Sorted, When I looked at the BIOS screen again, I noticed "F5 Restore to Previous Settings (or something similar"
I did this, checked with the photographs, restarted and everything is back to normal, apart from F1 at start up which will be another thread.

I think it was VoG who suggested taking photographs of the Bios screen, some time ago, what an excellent idea.

But... why would it be suggested, even on this site, to return to Default settings in the BIOS, what is the correct procedure for this??

Taff™ 07:11 31 Dec 2007

The setting in the bios you need to change is the one along the lines of "halt boot up on error" - I had this on a new build where there was no floppy drive installed and using wireless keyboard & mouse. The computer BIOS threw up an error because it didn`t find either during POST and halted. See if you can find it, you can always revert the setting if it doesn`t work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?