Mayday. DVD Rom has disappeared

tkidcharlemagne 00:31 07 Oct 2004

New system yesterday. High end XP Professional. Working fine. Had installed a game through the rom drive, playing fine. Big problems now though. DVD ROM/DVD RW drives no longer on My computer. Not in device manager. They have completely vanished. What could possibly have happened.

I have been in BIOS but not sure what to do or look for. I need help!!

tkidcharlemagne 00:33 07 Oct 2004

P.S The light comes on the drive when I put in a disc, then total inactivity.

Ive 00:41 07 Oct 2004

Take the side off tower and make sure all the leads are pushed on firmly on drives. I have a brand new pc and the smart card reader drive dissapeared from my computer tonight. I have just had the side off and looked at the leads and they looked ok but I removed the connection from the main board end and then put it back and all is now working again.

JonnyTub 00:44 07 Oct 2004

uninstall the ide chanel the drives sit on if the the last suggestion doesn't work.

tkidcharlemagne 00:56 07 Oct 2004

tried the leads still no luck. There are a couple of open ended ones but I don't think they came loose from anywhere. How do I uninstall the ide chanel by the way. I'm not that experienced at this type of business.

JonnyTub 01:01 07 Oct 2004

device manager, look for ide/atapi controllers, right click and select uninstall, reboot and windows will automatically re-install the original drivers should the previous ones have become corrupted.

tkidcharlemagne 01:09 07 Oct 2004

yep uninstalled primary and secondary ide controllers. Rebooted windows installed. Still no DVD ROM drive in my computer or device manager.

JonnyTub 01:16 07 Oct 2004

ok then, seen as this is a new system and you've tried a few methods, take it back!! it shouldn't be playing up like this and you shouldn't have to come here for a system that's only one day old.

Lost dvd/ cd drives are notoriously difficult to diagnose, i always suggest uninstalling the ide channel first incase the drivers have become corrupt, in this case i would suggest going no further and getting it replaced or repaired.

tkidcharlemagne 01:20 07 Oct 2004

thks will get onto Scan about it first thing. This is a very expensive system and I am not best pleased.

Danoh 01:45 07 Oct 2004

1) When I connected an old parallel-port Iomega Zip drive (250Mb, wow….:-( ) and installed software, etc for it.

When I do not have it powered up, for some reason the DVD drive disappears in the manner you have described. If I have it powered on before booting up the PC, the DVD drive reappears.

2) When I had a DVD drive replaced, the untraceable cause of the DVD drive “disappearing” went away. No one was any the wiser as to why, even after several on-site engineer visits.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone