This may be a little more taxing.But I have faith.

smeehee 20:40 10 Aug 2003

My computer has been really playing up, i.e. always freezing up, strange illegal operation error messages occurring too frequently, programs not working, computer not always starting up or closing down properly. This is exactly what is happening ALL THE TIME (often takes 5 - 6 attempts to boot up), ALAS however I do not have the 98 disc). (PC was gift..No disc's with).

So can anything be done, or is it doomed

In true hope...:@)

Lú-tzé 20:46 10 Aug 2003

Well, a few things might help:

restart in DOS mode and type in

scanreg /fix

just as it is there - that will check the registry for you.

Get a registry checker (for example, the one from Microsoft) and run it.

Defrag and run scandisk.

But without the OS disk you are fighting a losing battle...

Confab 20:46 10 Aug 2003

There is always something that can be done but you need to let us know what the error messages are otherwise how can we help. You will almost definitely need a win98 cd although your problems could be solved without it.

Taran 20:48 10 Aug 2003

If you can get into Windows at all, run a search on your hard disk for *.cab and see if you can find the setup files in a folder. A lot of people (myself included) copy the setup files onto the hard drive of a PC for installation or driver updates and so on.

If you can find them you can run setup from them and reinstall Windows or install a fresh copy to a new directory. If the files are not there, you need to find a Windows CD and license I'm afraid.

Post again once you've run your search and see if you have any luck.

Regards

Taran

graham√ 20:54 10 Aug 2003

Have you tried defragmenting the hard drive for a start? If you use it to access the internet it may have a virus or worse.

If you decide to start afresh AND it has a CD Rom, you should be able to get a 'Legal' copy of '98 on Ebay click here

Don't forget to make a Startup Disk before you start reformatting.

smeehee 20:57 10 Aug 2003

Lu-TZE...Cheers but tried scanfix about two weeks ago. Did seem to slightly improve...But is now back to square 1.

Taran...No *cad files...:@( (what would windows registary do?)

Seems to be worse if I am not using for a bit (say 10 mins), but will often just freeze. To tell you the truth I am surprised it has lasted about an hour tonight with no freezing.

I take it you can't put 98 Disc onto floppy then...:@(

Still open to ofers

Lú-tzé 21:01 10 Aug 2003

that's cab (short for cabinet).

smeehee 21:16 10 Aug 2003

I actually did put cab, to no avail...:@(

Heres another idea I had...Can I transport eveything vital to the running of the machine to a folder and then delete everything else??? Radical I know, but as you can imagain it is very frustrating, especially if I'm doing any long stuff...emails, word processing etc spellcheck...lol)

y_not 21:37 10 Aug 2003

Could try buying a Windows 98 disk at ebay click here for about 30 quid.

Other than that sorry but no better ideas......except perhaps ......is it win98 causing the problem of the PSU which would cause the crashes, freezing etc?

Sorry if it throws a spanner in the works but what/when did the problem begin.. new software, virus, download or something/nothing else?

Stuartli 23:37 10 Aug 2003

A remote possibility is that the system is running too hot which can cause many of the problems you list.

Also worth checking that each and every system lead etc connection is firm, that PCI cards are correctly inserted and that the mains plug pins are properly pushed into the socket; may sound bizarre but intermittent faults can be problematic to solve and every bit helps...:-)

Forum Editor 23:43 10 Aug 2003

to buy a Win98 SE CD. It won't cost a fortune, and to be honest I don't think you'll fix this until you reinstall Windows, or at least run the system file checker, which will search for corrupted or missing files and replace or repair them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017