May 2008 coverdisc

Simsy 15:51 21 Mar 2008

Folks,

Just a little warning...

I've just bought the May 2008 issue, primarily because the coverdisc advertises that it has Outpost Firewall Pro on the DVD. I have a firewall issue and when I saw this I thought I'd give it a go.

It clearly says on the DVD artwork, refering to this program, "XP and Vista compatible" Unfortunatley it is NOT Vista compatible.

When trying to run it Vista gives a message saying it's not compatible, and going online to look for a solution provides none.

Now I'm not one to complain about free software, but in the case I bought the magazine specifically for this prog. (I have a deal with my wife where I buy only one PC mag a month. It varies from month to month depending on what catches my eye.)

I notice that in this instance the setup file concerned is called;

OutpostProInstall_OLD_759.exe

Note the "OLD". Was this one put on the disc in error?

Regards.

Simsy

Simsy 16:09 21 Mar 2008

I've just discovered, the link for registering for the Creator10 software goes to a page that doesn't exist anymore!

Regards,

Simsy

Doggietech 23:07 22 Mar 2008

The link provided to obtain the 90-day license for Avira AntiVir Internet Security comes up as 404, not available. What the hell is going on, PC Advisor? That was the sole reason I picked up the mag this month! Someone forget to tell Avira? Seems they know nothing about this month's coverdisc. They did know about one last Autumn, 'cos a search of Google's cache for the very same link brings up a copy of a page saying "the promotion is now finished".

regards,
Bulldog

johnnyrocker 23:27 22 Mar 2008

consumer watch?

johnny.

rdave13 23:35 22 Mar 2008

Nah..they're asking for help methinks...

johnnyrocker 23:37 22 Mar 2008

best place as pca take those sort of issues seriously

johnny.

rdave13 23:58 22 Mar 2008

ok boss, you know the form..

Simsy 09:41 23 Mar 2008

contacted the Forum Editor and asked him to bring it to the attention of the coverdisc editor.

FE has responded to me in the affirmative... so lets just see what happens.

As it happens, I attempted to install the roxio anyway, and it installed ok and registered via another route. Apart from the fact that it doesn't "look" as if it can burn DVDs, (I've installed it on a machine that doesn't have a DVD burner; maybe it knows that and doesn't give the option?), it seems that this "problem" is no more.

Regards,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 23 Mar 2008

With some of the programs on the cover disks the manufacturers don't open their site to activate the software until the mag is on the news stands for a couple of days.

RickyC :-) 10:07 25 Mar 2008

Hi Simsy,

regarding the Outpost Firewall application - I'm checking with the developers on the Vista-compatibility issue. I believe we also covermounted the latest version as a trial on the disc (Outpost Firewall Pro 2008), and it could be that this was the version that is Vista-compatible. If this is the case, I will let you know as soon as i hear back from the developers.
Roxio Easy Media Creator 10 Basic - The registration page appears to work OK for me - click here - but please let me know if this still causes problems.

Doggietech - I'm checking with Avira, to ensure that the registration page is correct. Will again post back here when news is forthcoming

kind regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

crosstrainer 10:14 25 Mar 2008

But..... I subscribe to the magazine for the content.

No Freebies exist anymore.

Get a Life

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?