Maxtor One Tough USB External drive

HHR 13:58 15 Nov 2004

I'm running XP Professional SP1 on a PC with an Athlon 64 processor running at 3.2GHz.

I've got a Maxtor external One-Touch USB drive connected to a working USB port. I can see the drive in Computer Management, and I've formatted and partitioned it, and it has been given a drive letter, but....

...I can't see the drive in Windows Explorer. I've tried many different drive letter assignments, reformatted and repartitioned it, all to no avail.

The manufacturer can't help at all.

Anybody got any ideas?

TIA

Terry Brown 14:11 15 Nov 2004

Is it set to slave drive ? -- Does it register in the BIOS ? -- Is your usb port 1.1 or 2 (This may affect the connection) -- Have you tried a diffeent USB port ?

Terry

HHR 15:09 15 Nov 2004

Thanks for the response. It is on a USB 2.0 port, and I have tried it on several other working USB ports, all with the same result.

AS far as setting it to a Slave Drive, I cannot physically access the drive unless I dismantle the drive case. I don't really think there would be a Slave/Master jumper on the drive, as that usually applies to the IDE devices connected to the internal IDE ports. If a slave/master assignment was required for a USB connected external drive, it certainly isn't mentioned in the documentation.

I will check the BIOS later, but again, as the drive is connected to the motherboard's USB, and it is seen by the Computer Management console in XP, I don't think that will be an issue.

Thanks again.

wawadave 16:38 15 Nov 2004

I can't see the drive in Windows Explorer. I've tried many different drive letter assignments, reformatted and repartitioned it, all to no avail.

reboot after that!

wawadave 16:38 15 Nov 2004

I can't see the drive in Windows Explorer. I've tried many different drive letter assignments, reformatted and repartitioned it, all to no avail.

reboot after that!

HHR 16:45 15 Nov 2004

wawadave said:
"reboot after that!"

Done that many times over the last week or so.

Danoh 16:50 15 Nov 2004

Is the External USB drive shown as "Removable (x:)" in XP's Computer Management Console?

Bandy 17:47 15 Nov 2004

I've just installed a 160Gb One Touch on a friends machine as portable backup and it was a joy.

I simply went through the attached instructions and off it went, setting itself up as the 'k' drive after the removable 'memory card' drives - formatted and off it went.

You are correct in thinking that there is no need to worry about master/slave etc.

I know this may seem a silly question but you are formatting the correct drive aren't you?

HHR 18:10 15 Nov 2004

Bandy said:
"I've just installed a 160Gb One Touch on a friends machine as portable backup and it was a joy.
I simply went through the attached instructions and off it went, setting itself up as the 'k' drive after the removable 'memory card' drives - formatted and off it went. "

I hate you already!!!!! (just joking)

"I know this may seem a silly question but you are formatting the correct drive aren't you?"

Oh yes.

Thanks

onokeck 08:27 16 Nov 2004

Glad I found your thread on my search. I'm thinking of buying a 250 Maxtor External Drive, but if your problems are commonm perhaps I'd better reconsider. I find it alarming that the manufacturer can't help! Being new to this area I have a question - when data is stored to the Maxtor (mostly digital photos)are items retrievable back to the internal HD? Is this necessary or can I select from the Maxtor the photos I wish to print and do so from there? Probably sounds like I'm pretty stupid, but I am so uncertain about these technical things.Thanks for any reply. Casey

stlucia 08:41 16 Nov 2004

casey, I got a 250Mb Maxtor One-touch external drive a few months ago on the recommendation of people in this forum. Like Bandy, I had no problem installing it on Win 98 or Win XP -- if I remember correctly, the latter simply recognised it as an extra drive as soon as I plugged it in.

But to answer your question, once it's installed you can treat it just like any other drive, and drag files back and forth using Windows Explorer.

HHR, sorry for getting a bit off-topic. But, like the others, I'm mystified as to why yours doesn't just plug and go. Do you have an opportunity to test it on someone else's PC to check that the drive itself is not a problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?