Maxtor One Touch ll

Bandy 08:39 05 Nov 2005

A friend has a Maxtor usb external hard drive for which she has forgotten the password, and thus can't get into it.

I've checked the Maxtor Knowledge Base and found that the only real way forward is to erase the drive.

The problem is that when progressing through the Maxtor software to erase the drive I find that after trying to erase the drive is not recognised.

The software stops the drive appearing in My computer etc until the password is entered so it cannot be erased that way.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so how did you get around it.

I suspect that the only way will be to take the hard drive out of the case but that would invalidate the guarantee, and she tells me it's only been used once.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

johnnyrocker 09:34 05 Nov 2005

click here.

click here

might get you out of trouble.

johnny.

Bandy 10:38 05 Nov 2005

Thanks for your help.

However the pieces don't really fit.

The software on the USB disk is Dantz Retrospect and it is that which is asking for the password and preventing disc recognition on the Windows system.

I presume that these units are an IDE Hard drive in a box with usb connections and therefore if push really comes to shove I can take it out and reformat it.

However since I've not taken one of these to pieces before I don't want to unless necessary

Joe R 10:45 05 Nov 2005

Bandy,

The password is set by a utility called "drivelock".

You would probably be able to find a way past it here, but be careful, if you go on to these sites.

click here

Bandy 10:16 06 Nov 2005

Thanks again for your help - I'll have a look at those sites, and perhaps follow up on them a little later. The reason for this is as follows:

I've also sent a contact email to Maxtor technical support because I'm not particularly happy that the solutions to this problem in their knowledge base do not appear to work on this particular drive.

I wonder therefore if there is another problem with the drive not being recognised.

I await Maxtors reply with interest and will let you know the response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?