maxtor one step HD

n4165si 14:35 29 Sep 2009

I have a Maxtor one step Hard Drive and the software is useless i keep getting errors when backing up.Seagate don't help, would it be possible to uninstall the software that came with it and would the Hard Drive revert to being an ordinary Hard Drive that i could get other software such as Acronis to back up to it with no problems?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:12 29 Sep 2009

Yes just uninstall the Retrspect software and the drive works as a normal external drive.

The Mountaineer 16:35 29 Sep 2009

I've had a Maxtor One Touch drive for about 5 years now and used the Retrospect software. I found that most of my "early troubles" were caused by the one-touch facility so I deleted the one touch settings and used the Maxtor as an ordinary drive for backups and file duplications (to use Retrospect terminology)
Since then I have used Retrospect on a daily basis with a Seagate and a WD Passport as well as the original Maxtor. I back up the whole C drive from each computer's system as an image file which can be restored as required as well as "duplicating" data files from other partitions which can be directly accessed from the backup drives.
Certainly I get error messages in the log, but almost all of these are from temp files and antivirus dat files (Panda).
Don't know if this helps, but my own experiences have been good ones.

n4165si 13:57 30 Sep 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and The Mountaineer
Thank you for repling with the info ,i will now uninstall the Maxtor software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone