Maxtor hard disk working to Compaq PC

madfool 22:36 23 Jul 2008

I have a known working Maxtor 160gb hard drive loaded with XP. However the motherboard on this PC is working intermittantly.
I have been given a working Compaq evo PC with a western digital wd400 hard drive also with XP.
I would like to use the Maxtor hard drive with the compaq instead of the western digital one.
If I remove the western digital drive from the compaq and replaced it with the Maxtor hard drive, then the compaq recognises that the hard drive is now a maxtor. A message appears on screen asking to press F1 to save these settings. I press F1, the screen goes blank but the PC does not load into XP.
I have set the links to cable select and also master but get the same results. Any ideas what the problem is ?

Pamy 22:40 23 Jul 2008

The two computers will have different components,graphic cards,drivers etc. that will not be recognised on each HDD, so not possible to swap just like that

woodchip 23:04 23 Jul 2008

You cannot use other drives in different computer, they will not activate by Microsoft. Plus Hardware drivers are all different

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?