Maxtor External HDD

mbp 22:32 30 Jun 2004

The Maxtor External HDD comes unformated when new. How do you format the drive?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:41 30 Jun 2004

My computer-select HD-right click-format.

G

Night Ryder 22:59 30 Jun 2004

Think you've missed something here. The drive will have to be partitioned first for the system to recognise it.

mbp What operating system do you have?

Mango Grummit 01:50 01 Jul 2004

I agree with GANDALF. That's how I did it anyway, then partitioned after formatting (just so I can keep my drive images seperate from everything else).

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:19 01 Jul 2004

'Think you've missed something here. The drive will have to be partitioned first for the system to recognise it.'.. there is NO need to partition...just right-click and hit 'format'. The system will recognise the drive..usually a s a CD drive. ;-))

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:22 01 Jul 2004

...in fact it is better not to partition an external HD. Computers are pretty powerful and HDs are enormous these days so there is no real need for a home user to partition unless they are runing a zillion OS's.

G

Chronos 09:12 01 Jul 2004

just to add my bit, i took my external maxtor 200gb drive out the box, loaded the software, and there is was, all up and running........

mbp 09:21 01 Jul 2004

Thanks all, but one fact bothers me, you mentioned software, I did not receive any kind of software on my HDD. On the box it just says, "Plug and Play". I have assumed that that is all I need?

I have Windows XP Home OEM edition. Both my HDD's are 40 GB and I have naot used a partition as the drives are not large.

Chronos 12:57 01 Jul 2004

I should have explained, sorry, the software was for the auto back up of your PC, if you wanted to use it...but the HDD was just plugged in and away it went, either usb or firewire, so i just swop it between the laptops XP with firewire, and the desktop PC with win98..

mbp 13:39 01 Jul 2004

Chronos, where did you obtain the "Auto Back Up" software? Is it a freeware, shareware, or commercialware? Any URL's for me to have a deckko?

byfordr 13:58 01 Jul 2004

The Dantz backup software provided with it should work with the "one touch" facility

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?