maxtor external hard drive - copying program files

dave1963 22:16 20 Jun 2008

i have recently bought a 500mb maxtor basics external desktop hard drive (model ref stm305003ehd301-rk). the unit was immediately recognised by my pc and designated 'h' drive. however when i attempted to copy the contents of my program file drive (ie containing my operating system files (winxp))the file copying process halted after a few minutes and the following message was displayed - 'cannot copy pagefile: it is being used by another person or program. close any program that might be using the file and try again'.
grateful for advice on how i should go about copying operating system files to this external hard disk, after all the basic operating system has to be running for the thing to work at all!
The hard drive did not come with any associated software for backing up files.
i am running window xp service pack 2

grateful for any advice

thanks

dave

Technotiger 22:19 20 Jun 2008

Best to get yourself Acronis True Image and make a Full Backup to your shiny new external drive. There is no better way IMHO.

woodchip 22:25 20 Jun 2008

As above you have to use a Program like Acronis True Image. And create a Image of the main Hard drive in your comp saving it to the new ex drive

maxblast is a free version powered by acronis.
click here

I use the seagate disc wizard equivalent to create/restore back up images with no problems.

dave1963 14:43 21 Jun 2008

Thanks for the advice. I have Powerquest Drive Image 7.0 on my pc. Presumably this does the same thing as the Acronis software and I can save an image of my program file drive onto my ext HDD using this.

Technotiger 14:51 21 Jun 2008

Yes, it does, or at least it is similar - one major drawback: Drive Image 7 includes Microsoft's .Net framework, and that adds software you might never want along with a whopping 40MB to DI 7's 45MB installation footprint.

The above is a part-quote from a PCW review!

dave1963 08:23 24 Jun 2008

I have tried to save an image of my progam file (winxp) drive to my external hard drive (model ref in my initial post above)but despite several attempts (turning off the anti-spyware function on my Norton Internet Security software the second time) they were unsuccessful, failing when the process reached the 'verifying data blocks' stage. In both cases the following message was displayed;

'Backup of F:\ did not complete successfully. Error EA39070A. The internal structure of the PQI file is invalid or unsupported (0xEA39070A)'

Could anyone advise on what might be causing this? I am beginning to wonder if Drive Image 7.0 is compatible with USB external hard drives. If this is the case, can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks

brundle 08:25 24 Jun 2008

Read this; click here

and the symantec link within that post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?