Maxtor external Drive failure

iscanut 20:54 06 Dec 2010

I am running Win7 32 bit. My maxtor external usb drive has suddenly stopped showing as an available drive. No matter what usb port i attach it to, no good. It shows up in the device manager and states it is working ! When I plug in the usb cable, the computer makes the usual noise to indicate a device being attached. If it is a faulty usb cable, then the device would not show in device manager. When I unplug the cable, it vanishes from device manager, so the computer is aware of it. The only drives that show up in My Computer is the Hard Drive C: and the various other usb ports, SD slot, etc. Can anyone help advise what I can do ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:07 06 Dec 2010

Conflicting USB drivers is probably the cause

download usbdeview click here

uninstall ALL usb devices that are shown as not connected.

reboot

plug your drive in and it should be seen and reinstall automatically

iscanut 23:01 06 Dec 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat, but still no joy. It is shown as connected again after using usbdeview as suggested and shows everywhere else that it should, BUT still cannot bring it to life as a drive. Have just tried plugging in to my laptop ( it is/was on my desktop ) and not recognized there either so must be something else blocking it or preventing it being accessible.

Woolwell 23:24 06 Dec 2010

Does it have its own power supply? I occasionally get problem with my Maxtor external drive and taking all power off, waiting a moment and then powering up cures it.

iscanut 10:33 07 Dec 2010

Yes, has its own power supply. I did waht Fruit Bat suggested and then did a system restore to when it last worked a week ago, removed all traces of Maxtor with Revo. Plugged drive back in and got the usual "found new hardware", " loading drivers" and then your device is ready for use. BUT still no sign of it in My Computer and no drive letter assigned. It still shows as OK in Device Manager, in both Disk Drives and the USB section. I am mystified. Any other suggestions, apart from getting anew one. As my pc is still OK I can do all the backups again so nothing lost at the moment.

Ventad 10:52 07 Dec 2010

I am sure that on my external maxtor hard drive there is a small programme that states the drive letter of the hard disk mine is 'F' it might be that you have wiped it off when you got rid of everything with revo. I think this is downloadable from maxtor.

Philpoty 10:52 07 Dec 2010

Plug in external drive and go to
Computer Management
Disk Management
Scroll down to Maxtor
Right click and rename X or Z
Hope this helps

Ventad 10:57 07 Dec 2010

click here

the abve is pointing to:- If your Seagate or Maxtor-brand external hard drive is not being recognized by your Windows PC, whether it is a brand new drive, or one that has been connected to your computer for years, this article contains some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem.

iscanut 20:41 07 Dec 2010

Thanks for all your help, but nothing I have done will bring it back to life. Must be something wrong with the unit, as when I plug it in to wife's laptop, I get exactly the same problem. In Disk Management, it shows as Disk2 but when right clicking on the volume, I am asked if I want New Simple volume, New spanned volume or new striped volume. Does this suggest that it is unformatted somehow ? Any ideas what I should do now or should I give up ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 07 Dec 2010

click here

try using test disk to recover your data

iscanut 13:29 08 Dec 2010

Thanks again for all your responses. As I could see the disc in disc management, chose new simple volume and reformatted it. Showed up straight away so then ran a recovery program and recovered most of files. It looked as if there had been some corruption of the drive somehow. Anyway, all now OK but as the Maxtor USB drive is over 5 years old, will replace it with a new one just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017