Maxtor 3000 LS USB external drive

hoverman 17:58 06 Feb 2004

OS is XP home and thid morning took delivery of the above mentioned HD. Installed it with no problem and I successfully backed up my PC HD using Drive Image 7.

Whenever I re-boot/start the PC with power on to the Maxtor drive the system boots up to the desk top but before the system tray icons appear I get a blue error screen with the message WORKER_THREAD_RETURNED_AT_BAD_IRQL.

If I power off the Maxtor drive before re-booting, the system boots up with no problem. I find I can then power on the Maxtor and all works fine.

Since I will only using the drive once a week to back up my internal HD I have decided to leave the external one powered off - no reason to keep it spinning for 7 days without use.

Thus not really a problem if the drive will work when I want it to, but has anyone a clue why the error occurs.

Mango Grummit 18:01 06 Feb 2004
  GANDALF <|:-)> 18:19 06 Feb 2004
  hoverman 18:36 06 Feb 2004

Sorry chaps - I am being a bit thick but I do not understand the solution in your links given to resolve the problem.

hoverman 09:43 11 Feb 2004

Problem solved - well by accident. I have a Taxan TFT monitor and I have always left it as plug-and-play. Two days ago I installed the proper Taxan driver and the above mentioned error message no longer rears it's ugly head.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?