Maximum size for SD cards in card readers?

compumac 19:35 17 Dec 2009

I have a Medion 8083 which is about six years old now with an internal card reader. I have been using a 1Gb SD card in this card reader for some time and it has always worked OK and still does. I have just purchased a Sandisk Extreme III SDHC 4Gb card and the card reader does not appear to recognise it whereas I insert the same card into a new standalone card reader, the 4Gb card is seen and can be written to. The question I would pose is- do older card readers have a limit to the size of cards inserted in them?

Peter 19:43 17 Dec 2009

As far as I know the size limit for SD cards is 2GB, but this limit was overcome in SDHC (the HC stands for High Capacity I think). Older card readers may not recognise or work with cards over the 2GB limit.

You should be able to obtain an up-to-date USB card reader which will accept SDHC cards and read & write to them correctly.

Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 17 Dec 2009

Yes older card readers will not read the high capacity cards (over 2G).

grey george 19:49 17 Dec 2009

Yes and older cameras and other devices that were produced before sd cards went above 1Gb. An update may be available for the reader but there so cheap I think your just supposed to get a new one.

compumac 19:51 17 Dec 2009

Peter
Thanks for prompt response. I have, as I said a new card reader that does see the SDHC card and I am able to write to it. The reason that I raise the question is to establish as to whether my internal card reader is faulty or more likely it is behind in its ability to read larger size cards. If the latter is the case then I may consider purchasing a more up to date internal unit.

compumac 19:53 17 Dec 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and grey george.
Your input came as I was typing my rely to Peter. You both confirm my view.
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 17 Dec 2009

Don't try and change the internal reader, its not that simple on a medion, just get a new card reader that plugs into a USB port.

compumac 19:59 17 Dec 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Could not agree more, an external unit is a better proposition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?