maximum ram for win me?

birkdalite 20:30 26 Aug 2003

My son is having problems with his pc using Win ME He thinks this is because he has loaded over 500mb of ram, he has been told there is a ceiling for ME of 500 mb and that there is a Microsoft patch which allows more to be used. Has anyone any knowledge of this, and if so can you please help?

The Sack 20:40 26 Aug 2003

512MB but in some circumstances the video card memory counts towards this also.

There is no M$ patch because it is a limitation of the OS, you have to remember that ME is just an upgrade to Win95 and when that came out 8MB was a lot, no one ever dreamt of a home user using 512MB or RAM.

I have heard of people using a program called cacheman with some success to break the limit but i have not tried it myself.

phoenix_one 20:41 26 Aug 2003

I am aware that using above 512Mb of RAM in windows 95,98,ME can lead to a degradation in performance.

Windows 2000 and XP do not carry such limitations and you can add as much RAM as the mobo can take.

I have never heard of such a patch to increase the RAM limit.

I am aware of this problem because my PC dual boots with Win ME and XP, the PC has 640Mb RAM. ME does not handle this amount of RAM very well.

click here

click here;en-us;q253912

click here

click here

All this should help you

krypt1c 20:41 26 Aug 2003

There's a discussion here if you can make sense of it. My own understanding is that 512mb is the most it's worth putting in. click here

Psiman 20:43 26 Aug 2003

Bump.

Yes it is oft written that 512MB is the max for a MSDOS layered OS, but never proven to my knowledge. Obvious action is to remove one DIMM and see if things stabilise. I'm not aware of any patch.

phoenix_one 20:44 26 Aug 2003

yet more to help

click here;en-us;q253912

click here

birkdalite 21:05 26 Aug 2003

Thanks gentlemen your advice has been passed on.It would seem he either upgrades his OS or reduces the ram. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?