maximum memory for a toshiba4090ctx laptop

timerep 16:01 11 Apr 2008

hi guys me again well ive tried just about every linux I can lay hands on and only zenwalk and vector work but even they have a set screen res of 800x600 and the screen is 1200x768 so the picture is small.Suse 10.2 works full screen but its slow no better than windows the memory is upped to 194 mb and its a celeron cpu at 400 mhz I am sure something can be done with this as windows xp will run but once av and the like are going as well its just too much and those wonderful auto updates from microsoft just about finish the thing.Linux wont seem to work with my wireless setup either would love to sort this as Im sure something can be done any suggestions?

skidzy 17:06 11 Apr 2008

Have you thought of PuppyLinux,it should fly with a machine with low spec.click here

Just upping the cpu to something like 1GHZ and 512MB ram will show a big improvement,and is cheap enough to do.

This assuming the mobo will take the extra ram and bigger cpu.

skidzy 17:12 11 Apr 2008

On another note;

If you did up the ram and cpu,i would recommend PCLinuxOS 2007,the wireless department is reasonably straight forward once you understand its workings.
Some will auto setup from the install,some need manual tinkering.

LOS needs 512MB to run effectively but will run on 256MB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone