Max memory

Switcher 23:31 15 Oct 2008

Memory: 3 DDR DIMM slots: DDR1, DDR2, and DDR3
PC2100 (DDR266) for 3 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 3GB;
PC2700 (DDR333) for 2 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 2GB;
PC3200 (DDR400) for 1 DDR DIMM slots, Max. 1GB

The above is an extract from the Asrock P4s61 manual. Does this mean that if I use PC3200 memory I can only use it in one slot.

P4 2.8 Win XP M/c

T I M B O 00:06 16 Oct 2008

Go to this link >>click here

then do a scan of ur pc and it will inform you of what ur pc can take. All you need is about 3 gig for xp.

Switcher 00:17 16 Oct 2008

Thanks TIMBO I have used crucial before and though it is good it is not always accurate. I did try it for this Mobo and it indicates 3 X 1 Gb but that is at pc2100 or pc 2700.

T I M B O 00:36 16 Oct 2008

I'm not sure, call them in the morning. Here is there free fone number >>> 0800 013 0330

DieSse 01:07 16 Oct 2008

"Does this mean that if I use PC3200 memory I can only use it in one slot."

That's what it means.

On older boards it was not very unusual to have such restrictions. Designs seem to have improved these days.

DieSse 01:09 16 Oct 2008

I should have added - I seem to remember it was timing issues that did this - so it might work, but unreliably, if you don't adhere to the manufacturers specs.

DieSse 01:12 16 Oct 2008

IMO 1 GB is fine for everyday XP use - 2GB if you need something special - 3GB is overkill.

I run with 1GB on a P4 2.4GHz and have no performance issues (no games though).

MarvintheAndroid 08:28 16 Oct 2008

I suspect what it actually means is that the extra RAM will work, but at reduced speed (with SPD). It is worth finding out if this restriction has been changed by subsequent BIOS updates, as would commonly be the case.

I tend to agree with DieSse, stick to 2GB for now and you are less likely to have problems. Many (especially XP) systems will not utilize the full 3GB anyway.

Marv

T I M B O 09:27 16 Oct 2008

XP will use all of the 4 gig, but you wont see all of the 4 gig in windows unless u have 64 bit of xp. If you don't see all of the 3 or the 4 gig then you can try these steps, but there is no gurantee.

1) Click 'Start' then 'Control Panel'.
2) Once the control panel has opened, double click 'System' or 'Performance and Maintenance' then 'System'.
3) In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
4) Toward the bottom of the Advanced window, look for the Startup and Recovery section.
5) Click the Settings button.
6) The Startup and Recovery window opens to the System Startup section.
7) Click the Edit button to open the Boot.Ini file in Notepad.
8) Place the cursor after /fastdetect, and then press the spacebar.
9) Type /PAE. (PAE is short for Physical Address Extension.)

The Boot.ini file should resemble this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /PAE

10) In the File menu, click Save.
11) Exit Notepad, Start Up and Recovery and System Properties.
12) Restart your machine. WindowsXP should now recognize 4GB of memory.

DieSse 10:54 16 Oct 2008

I very much doubt that an old ('cos it uses DDR RAM, not later types) budget motherboard will support PAE.

The 3 to 3.5GB (ish) maximum RAM often quoted for 32bit XP, really is that.

The design of the BIOS/motherboard actually locks out of use by the OS, the extra RAM. Because the addresses are used by the hardware. The hardware always uses the top end of the memory addresses to avoid as far as possible interfering with the lower part of the RAM used by the OS.

PAE is a "get-around" by producing more addresses above 4GB that the hardware addresses can be relocated to.

I am Spartacus 10:57 16 Oct 2008

Surely if PAE allows addressing above 4GB then drivers would have to be written to recognise that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone