Max hard disk size?

Buachail Mór 15:21 30 Jun 2004

Can anyone tell me the maximum hard disk size for a Gigabyte GA7-DX motherboard with F7 bios update? I have searched all over for the information but cannot find it anywhere, including the gigabyte site. I have the latest BIOS update.

I am not trying to avoid the hard work, but simply become frustrated with searching and getting nowhere.

Any pointers welcomely received thank you all very much.

Diodorus Siculus 20:07 30 Jun 2004

Can't help other than offer a bump... gigabyte site is not very helpful on first viewing.

THE TERMINATOR 20:26 30 Jun 2004

I don't think there is any limitations to whichever HDD size you want. Most HDD manufacturers have software available so that you can use their disk's in most systems....TT

Gongoozler 20:51 30 Jun 2004

Hi Buachail Mór. I can't find any direct answer to your question with regards to your Gigabyte GA7-DX motherboard, so I tried a different approach. As far as I can tell your motherboard has an AMD 761 chipset. I think this puts the manufacture at 2001. At this age, I think the BIOS limit is 137GB because of 28 bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) limitation. 32G limitation was sorted in 1999. click here

Buachail Mór 21:01 30 Jun 2004

OK thanks you very much for that. I wish I knew more about these things. So what would happen if I were to install a 160GB disk? Would it be visible or usable. I do have the 761 chipset and the machine was bought in 2001 about 3 years ago this month and now the disk space is a little thin on the ground.

Is there any point in installing the 160gb drive or anyway around the problem?

mole44 21:26 30 Jun 2004

have you thought of an external drive i have a 160gb by mator and all you need is a usb port and a power conection.

mole44 21:26 30 Jun 2004

have you thought of an external drive i have a 160gb by maxtor and all you need is a usb port and a power conection.

Gongoozler 22:04 30 Jun 2004

If you have Windows XP, you may not have a problem. If you have Windows 98 or ME, you will probably need a PCI ATA card.
click here

THE TERMINATOR 22:10 30 Jun 2004

I got a 40 gig drive when I had win98 and p3 350Mhz it did not read at first but when I ran the tools software downloaded from HDD site, windows recognized the drive ok....TT

So long as you use the disk utilities from the manufacturer (download and put on floppy), and boot from it, the disk utility will format and mount the disk for you (forget about fdisk, etc., it'll take forever, and since it's such an old utility, it won't recognise large drives properly) using it's own proprietary disk overlay utility. You may still have a problem with Win98SE, since there was a theoretical limit of 137Gb for FAT32 (noone could imagine a disk bigger than that back in '98). If you are running Win2000, ME (God forbid) or XP you shouldn't have a problem.

Buachail Mór 08:38 01 Jul 2004

I saw that Aldi supermarket will have a 160bg disk today and that is why I asked the question and will later on get one and install it and see what happens. Thank you and I will let you know how it all goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?