Max dsl line test. Stay connected?

jake2 17:21 04 Nov 2006

ADSL connection at work is being assessed for maxdsl at the moment and I heard someone say they should leave some of the pc's connected to the internet during this assessment period (presumably to influence the assessment in some way?) Is there any point in doing this?

(My home line is due for assessment in the next week or so.)

CurlyWhirly 18:19 04 Nov 2006

If you are referring to the 10 day training period then it doesn't matter whether you leave your PC connected to the internet or not.

If I still had a modem then I would be disconnected every day as I usually turn my PC off at night but I am now using a router and leave it plugged in 24/7 and I've been doing this for months with no problem.

CurlyWhirly 18:20 04 Nov 2006

p.s. I forgot to say that the 'training period' never ends as Max is rate adaptive broadband and so your line is continually monitored even after the 10 days are up.

jake2 20:06 04 Nov 2006

Thanks CurlyWhirly, I thought the training period measured the effectiveness of the line so I couldn't understand what difference being on line or not would make anyway. Just thought I'd check though.

CurlyWhirly 15:19 05 Nov 2006

"I thought the training period measured the effectiveness of the line"

As far as I know the 10 day training period is there to establish a MSR (Maximum Stable Rate) and the FTR (Fault Tolerance Rate) is set to 30% less.

For example if your MSR is 4 Mbps then your FTR is 2.8 Mbps

This link click here might help explain things a little better ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?