Massive GoogleMail Spam problem, 107 messages!

bengreenslade 16:49 06 Apr 2009

Hi,
I have been using Googlemail since september 2008, and ive had no spam whatsoever, now all of a sudden in 3 days ive got 107! Spam messages. They are all based on Pharmacy, drugs and loans etc.

Ive not registered with anything to cause such issues, many other people I know have the same problem. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to stop it?

Is anyone else having the same problems?

Thanks
Ben

colberly 17:00 06 Apr 2009

Haven't got as many as that but am getting foreign language ones that appear to be either Spanish or Portuguese, couldn't read them if I tried.

Clapton is God 20:18 06 Apr 2009

"Does anyone know why this is happening"

It's happening because your e-mail address has probably now found its way onto a spam bot which automatically generates spam to the addresses (including yours) in its database.

"what I can do to stop it?"

Nothing - except change your e-mail address and then give that address out to a few trusted friends and family members only. Don't use it to sign up at every website and for every e-newsletter on the planet.

Alternatively live with it. GMail has one of the best spam filters around.

laurie53 21:03 06 Apr 2009

Since Gmail puts spam straight into a spam folder, and automatically deletes it I don't see how it is a problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?