Massive file on my computer-Norton Recycle Bin

Dobba 17:25 23 Nov 2006

I've already had one go at getting thos one sorted and so far with no success.
I have discovered a massive file on my C Drive - 21,5 gigabytes, which is more than half the space on my hard disk and is obviously affecting the way my computer works. It is in a folder names RECYCLER, in which are 2 files, NPROTECT and the other begins S-1-5-21-57989841 etc.
I believe they are something to do with Norton Utilities and the Norton Recycle Bin. Evidently, when the recycle bin is emptied, the files are not deleted but stay in the RECYCLER folder and build up till they use all the free space on the hard disk. I came across Microsoft Q 229041 "Files are not deleted from Recycler Folder" but the instructions in that file won't work for me.
Norton (Symantec) just does not answer my queries on this subject - does anyone out there know how to get rid of the massive file and preevent it building up again?

howard64 19:28 23 Nov 2006

try starting in safe mode and then see if you can delete it. If not you may have to uninstall Norton and then delete it.

Lettervanman 20:22 23 Nov 2006

How did you find these files? Q229041 says that they cannot be viewed with windows explorer etc.

Dobba 17:48 24 Nov 2006

I used a very good (free) utility called Disktective (click here) which tells you what size all your files are. I have since uninstalled Norton Utilities as howard64 suggested but this makes no difference. There are over 7000 files in NPROTECT and whilst I can delete some of them the usual way, some files simply can't be moved and I baulk at the idea of working my way through over 7000 files highlighting & pressing delete. Somewhere, someone must have had this problem before - Let's hope we find him
Regards
Alan

BRYNIT 18:06 24 Nov 2006

You could have just disabled Norton Protection or set it to delete these files after x amount of days.

If you still had Norton Protection installed.

On desk top right click on recycle bin/Properties/Norton protection and check that purge protected files is ticked or you can just disable Norton protection.

You could try reinstalling Norton Protection and see if it will still delete the files.

thms 18:15 24 Nov 2006

Also see here
click here

Dobba 17:06 11 Dec 2006

Well chaps, nothing has worked, even using the Norton Special tool to get rid of every last nook and cranny. The problem seems to be that the files in NPROTECT have somehow all become corrupted and although I can see the RECYCLER directory and the NPROTECT file and its contents, the computer can't!!!
It's beginning to look as though the only way to kill the file and get me my hard disk space back will be the big F! (Format, of course). In other words, wipe the disk clean and start loading all my data all over again. a formidable task that will take me several days. Don't fancy it at all!
Is there no-one out there who knows how to sort this one?
Merry Christmas (Think of me formatting and reloading!)
Dobba.

De Marcus™ 17:14 11 Dec 2006

click here didn't you?

skidzy 17:22 11 Dec 2006

Unlocker may help click here

Also,though i dont think this will work.If these files are in one folder,maybe try renaming the folder and delete.

Dobba 11:39 17 Dec 2006

Thanks deMarcus and skidzy, but nothing works - as I have said before, I can see the files on my screen but the computer evidently cannot, so hence nothing works.
I have decided that the only thing to do is to format the hard disk, reload Windows and start all over again. To do this, I am thinking about buying another hard disk (Probably external) to back up my data on, then format the original Drive C and reload windows.Then I can reload my data to the C Drive and just use the external drive for backups.
Can anyone see any snags with this plan?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone