Mass emailings I haven't sent being returned to me

Grannyann 17:17 13 Feb 2006

I have suddenly started receiving masses (over 100 so far) of 'email undelivered' messages about emails I definitely haven't sent. The only odd thing I can see is an email with an empty reference line (no sender, etc) which says "Good day". Norton hasn't identified this as a threat, so what is going on? How can I stop all this stuff appearing in my inbox?

Skyver 17:34 13 Feb 2006

Give your computer a going over with Ewido click here (uncheck any option tick-boxes during installation) - update and do a complete scan.

Skills 17:42 13 Feb 2006

Under the settings in the scanner part of ewido change to scan every file and then do a complete scan

VoG II 17:43 13 Feb 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

spuds 17:59 13 Feb 2006

Perhaps worth mentioning that Ewido doe's have a 'time span', but you can continue to use it after its 'sell by date'.

stalion 18:09 13 Feb 2006

if you install this you can check your emails on the server before you download any that you want.
I received about the same amount a week ago mailer demon things returned undelivered.You probably haven't got anything on your pc just delete this rubbish if you get it.
click here

Grannyann 22:40 16 Feb 2006

Thank you,everyone who responded. Ewido identifies all those cookies really informatively, and a full system virus check told me I had no infections present on my PC, so it was really just a case of deleting the wretched things.

johnnyrocker 23:37 16 Feb 2006

i doubt it, the more likely answer is that you have someone who has your e mail address in their address book and the virus is mailing out from their machine and of course bounced mails will come back to you, if you have a small list of contacts it might be an idea to mail them re the prob, if it is very large the original prob will go away as the owner of the infeected pc will twig as he will eventually have the same mail issues.

johnny.

ami 23:52 16 Feb 2006

Johnneyrocker has it right, the virus is on someones elses machine not yours.
Incidentally, I've just, over the last two days, started getting loads of 'spam' emails of the 'goodday' type, all with an 'important' link to click - as if!
These emails are correctly addressed to me, but to a mailbox I rarely use, is anyone else suffering this spam overload?
I've deleted this particular mailbox so someone's going to get a load of 'bounces', like I care!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?