marscore.dll not found Repeat Problem

taywood 09:58 16 Aug 2003

To cure a problem in WinXP I did Restore- accidentally right into the time when I had the marscore.dll not found problem.
I've downloaded the .dll, unzipped it and did drag and drop to C:\windows\system32.
Now how do I fix it in the Registry.

Last time Stupidhead advised to do sfc /scannow but now I'm asked for the WinXP CD which I didnt get. I've tried regsvr32 c:\windows\system\marscore.dll and get 'the specified module could not be found'
It seems the downloaded .dll is not 'fixed' into the Registry.
Help please, I'm stuck and cant do a restore back further in time till its cleared.
Mike

xania 14:10 16 Aug 2003

What do you mean - you didn't get the WinXP CD. If you haven't got it, I assume that this is a recent purchase with XP installed - they should at least have given you a CD to enable you to restore your machine to the way it was. You should go back to your seller and INSIST they give you the CD - ideally the OS, but at least the restore 'mirror' CD. Without the former, you cannot use SFC and without the latter you cannot do anything.

krypt1c 14:55 16 Aug 2003

Found this thread click here

krypt1c 15:27 16 Aug 2003

xania - As it happens there's an interview with the MS UK licensing manager in the current [October] edition of PC Advisor [p 76] in which the issue of rescue cds is addressed. Her answer is 'It's entirely for OEM suppliers to decode whether or not to supply a Windows CD. Microsoft doesn't specify that this must be done and there are no plans to do so'

taywood 00:02 17 Aug 2003

It is my intention to go back further in time before the first time I got the 'marscore.dll not found' problem.

But I cant access the Restore until this 'marscore.dll not found' is settled.

krypt1c is correct, my PC came with XP builtin and from mesh Computers I received only a Recovery CD with instruction to use it with their Tech Support only as a last resort solution.

I'm still no further on. Search confirms that
marscore.dll is in c:\windows\system32 but the error message still says 'marscore.dll not found.
Mike

krypt1c 00:28 17 Aug 2003

Hi taywood - As far as I can see your only option is to contact Mesh for help. Catch 22. Can't detect marscore.dll without running sfc /scannow Can't run sfc /scannow without WinXP cd - K

krypt1c 00:34 17 Aug 2003

Just a thought. In order to run sfc /scannow you need a WinXP CD, but does it have to be the one for your installation ? If you know somebody who does have a CD it might be worth trying with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?