Marquee Different In IE & Firefox

babybell 16:19 03 Oct 2006

I have a website, click here and in the bottom right corner is a 'fantasy rugby' button with a scrolling message of 'updated' beneath it. When viewed through internet explorer it is centred and looks ok but when viewed through firefox it is coming in slightly to the left and looks silly. Anyone know how I can correct this?

ade.h 17:09 03 Oct 2006

This is only an educated guess, but it might be due to Quirks Mode. Your markup has no DOCTYPE, which means that browsers will interpret your markup using Quirks Mode rather than Compliance Mode.

It may be down to Firefox's padding; I noticed that your style sheet lacks any declarations for some elements, including this image. Try:

#id of image {
padding: 0;
marging: 0;
}

Or other values that work for your layout.

PurplePenny 23:35 03 Oct 2006

Scrolling marquees are considered a bad idea for accessibility. People with cognitive disorders find them confusing and people who are visually impaired find them hard to read.

Personally I find them just plain annoying!

ade.h 23:39 03 Oct 2006

"Personally I find them just plain annoying!" Penny has a point there.

Eric10 15:41 04 Oct 2006

While agreeing in general with the consensus of opinion about scrolling marquees I have noticed that in your code you have opened a paragraph to contain the bottom marquee but have not closed the paragraph after it. However, just adding a closing paragraph tag didn't help in my test but changing the paragraph to a div did.

On further investigation I find that this is probably because your page has 15 opening tags for paragraphs but only 2 closing tags so this needs sorting out before making any major changes.

ade.h 15:45 04 Oct 2006

click here and you will see that you have your work cut out.

PurplePenny 20:58 04 Oct 2006

HTML doesn't require paragraphs to be closed.

However, failing to close a paragraph tag does affects where the element ends. In effect the paragraph goes on till the next block-level element (possibly the next opening P tag!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?