Mark TWO - Recycle Bin - Accessing on UBS drives

Housten 12:15 15 Aug 2015

Gentlemen, Morning, I have decided to try and post another "Question", as I have tried 7 times, including this morning again, to get the site to accept my reply. It will not. What happens is the circling dots appear and are then covered by a red circle with a diagonal, and this stays for up to two minutes. After it disappears the circling dots keep going for I do not know how long as the longest I have waited is 6 or 7 minutes!

Anyway I wish to thank Secret-Squirrel and all the rest of you that very kindly replied to my query. It appears that the Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium OS that I have is slightly different from some of your OSs but the result has been that I have managed to find the re-cycle bins on my USB drives and clean them out. So a big thank you to all of you for taking the time and trouble to reply and the hope you will accept my apologies for not getting my thanks to you sooner, but I do not think it is all my fault.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 15 Aug 2015

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding as another key may be needed to access the Repair/recovery options.

1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

Make sure your PC is set to boot directly from the Windows DVD, most modern PCs are set this way. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

1. Start the PC

2. Immediately insert the Windows DVD into the DVD drive

3. A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD', Press Any key to start the booting process

4. The 'Windows is loading files' screen will now appear with a progress bar.

5. After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

6. You will next see a Blue curtained screen

7. Next the Language option screen will appear Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

8. At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

9. The System recovery options will now search for your Windows installation

10. Once the Windows installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

11. The set of recovery options now appears, Click on the Option you require and follow the on screen prompts

Repair / Recovery Options

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)- If you don't have a backup then don't use this option This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from the back up that you have previously created. Any other data will be lost
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
  Secret-Squirrel 08:37 16 Aug 2015

It appears that the Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium OS that I have is slightly different from some of your OSs....

My instructions and screenshot were for Windows 7 which I know is your OS.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback although it's a shame you couldn't get the conventional method to work. Please remember to hide your protected operating-system files again so you don't delete something vital.

Housten 11:36 16 Aug 2015

Good Morning, Gentlemen, Secret-Squirrel, Many, many thanks for your reply. If this works, well..........I haven't got a clue as to what has been happening. You say "to hide your protected operating-system files again so you don't delete something vital.". As they say, deux points. The first is will hiding stop files being deleted? and the second is how do I do such a thing? Fruit Bat /\0/, Good Morning, I saw your reply as I was about to shut down yesterday afternoon, so decided to try your answer this morning. Although I am a little confused as to why I should need a 'repair' when all I wanted was to know how to get to USB recycle bins. Anyway this morning I started my - very slow - Acer one 722-C62kk in order to get into this forum. I then followed your instructions with regard to booting my desktop for the repair. As I had bought two copied of an 'original' disk for Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium I used that method, without any luck at all. I tried booting my machine then opening the DVD tray, but by then things had gone too far. So I resorted to leaving the DVD in the tray, switching off the computer, waiting 30 or so seconds and then booting. Sometimes it came up with 'Press any key......' etc., but then went ahead and did the 'normal' - for the sake of a better description - anyway. Although there is one point that I must make here. On this machine when I got it was a programme called 'BootRacer'. Up until about April/May this showed that booting up the machine took between 19 and 22 seconds. I am certain it was a Microsoft update that mucked things up and it now takes 44 to 46 seconds. When the DVD was in the tray every time it was back to a max of 21 seconds, which absolutely convinces me that it was an upgrade that mucked up the booting process. What and/or why Microsoft did this or caused it to happen I do not have a clue. However one final point occurred to me when I looked at your reply just now. Do I take it that even though I have the DVD I could use your 'Pre-Installed' instructions instead of the disc, bearing in mind the problems I have had with the DVD? Once more I have to thank both of you gentlemen, for all the time and trouble you have taken helping a silly old duffer like me. I am very, very appreciative, and grateful, for all your efforts.

Secret-Squirrel 13:31 16 Aug 2015

Hello Housten

I made two assumptions. One, that you couldn't follow my instructions, and two, that you followed Bremner's advice on your other thread to reveal the USB drive's Recycle Bin folder. If you didn't follow his advice then you don't need to do anything.

PS: Fruit Bat's reply was a copy 'n' paste from this website entitled "Windows Vista Repair Options" so none of that information is relevant and was probably a case of FB having some finger trouble.

bremner 14:12 16 Aug 2015

It would have been clearer if Housten had posted his remedy to his original USB problem onto the original thread and then ticked it as closed.

Housten 15:49 16 Aug 2015

Good Afternoon, bremner, I have noted your comment and would refer you to my comment in the starting post to this query. seven times I tried and this was why I had to resort to this query and why it is referred ta as 'Mark TWO'!!!

bumpkin 19:34 16 Aug 2015

a case of FB having some finger trouble.

I don't think so, apparenly he flew into a telephone pole and is till recovering:-)

bumpkin 19:35 16 Aug 2015

till = still

bumpkin 19:45 16 Aug 2015

One of the problems with being blind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?