Many Prblems with XP Pro

m800afc 15:16 17 Apr 2008

Good afternoon chaps and chapesses,
For a little while I have been suffering a number of niggling problems. Shortcuts not working, application preferences not being saved, system restore not working, Quick launch not working, unable to complete backups and more. Clearly something is awry with the system.
I decided it was time to repair XP Pro and did so. All went well with the installation, but I can not install updates. I have manually installed the Windows Installer 3.1, and tried the following:

• Start \ Run
• Type cmd then click OK
• In the command prompt type the following command : Net stop wuauserv (Press Enter)
• In windows navigate to 'C:\Windows' and Delete folder 'Softwaredistribution' Also delete the same folder in 'C:\Windows\System32'
• In command Prompt type the following : Net start wuauserv (Press Enter to Start Windows update services)

I am still unable to install the downloaded updates. I do not get an error code, just a list of the 92 files that "Could not be installed"
I still have not solved any of my recent problems, and the computer is slowing to a crawl. I have run, separately, Spybot S&D, Avast4, SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG 7.5, AdAware 2007, Spyware Terminater and Spyware Blaster. None of these report any problems. I do not have more that one AV installed at a time.
I am reluctant to do a clean reinstall from reformat, because I cannot be sure that my backup will actually work in the present conditions. I have a backup available, but Acronis TI10, fails, each time I try to verify it.
I am getting fed up, and would really appreciate some help.

BurrWalnut 15:33 17 Apr 2008

You seem to have tried all the usual remedies, here are some you may not have tried:

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation, have a look click here

Also, have a look click here

I haven’t tried it but Dial-a-fix is a highly regarded program, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?