to many cdroms

dwhiteley 17:47 01 Apr 2005

can any 1 tell me that i got ide cable conecting to hard drivs and a ide cable conecting a cdrw and dvdrw is there any way of centing anouther cdrom please help

Paranoid Android 18:15 01 Apr 2005

Sure you can. What you need is an IDE controller card which will plug into a free PCI slot and give you 2 more IDE connectors. Why you would want to do this escapes me, but it's your choice.

£ 12.76 plus vat from AUT Distribution

click here
(third item down).

Marvin

TomJerry 18:28 01 Apr 2005

each IDE channel can support two IDE devices (HDD or optical), so you can connect another CD-rom with the same IDE cable as HDD, you can buy a two headed cable for £1 if your IDE cable only has one head

but the question is why you need so many CD-ROM, my PC only has one DVDRW and it does everything for me

Paranoid Android 18:38 01 Apr 2005

TomJerry I think the implication was that all connectors are used eg 2 HDs 2 CDroms.

Marv.

ade.h 19:25 01 Apr 2005

As far as I know, you shouldn't connect an optical drive to the same cable as a HDD; the data rate of that channel will be reduced to ata33. Apologies if I'm wrong.

ade.h 19:26 01 Apr 2005

Or possibly ata66; not sure. Slower than the HDD anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires