Mandy Herrington Spam, - Related to Facebook?

thegreypanther 10:39 20 Aug 2010

About one month ago I was persuaded to join Facebook, - albeit with a VERY low profile and few friends. Since then I have been bombarded with emails from [email protected]> which are just one liners with a link included.
Previous to joining Facebook I had very little spam, and managed quite happily without a spam filter.
Is the "mandy herrington" spam anything to do with my joining Facebook? Does anybody else have a problem with this particular spam?

Strawballs 10:56 20 Aug 2010

Been on facebook ages the only spam I get is from people trying to add me on MSN

lotvic 11:24 20 Aug 2010

I get about 6 a week with the 'one liner link' from various names. I don't open them but I used to look at the Properties, message headers, Message Source to see what the message contained.
I just delete them unopened now.
Yes, it is since I joined Facebook so that I could look at a relatives photo albums.
I didn't use my real name and opened a new email addy just for FB use, so spam must be FB related.

johndrew 11:35 20 Aug 2010

Facebook is quite infamous for its 'sharing' of your data so it shouldn't be a surprise when your e-mail address is spread around the world for any and all spammers to use.

PCA has printed some tips for better security and there are quite a few sites that offer good advice; see below. All you can do with those currently sending you spam is either create a rule in your e-mail client to delete on receipt or, better still if you can, set up a rule within your ISP account to delete on receipt.

Good tips:

click here
click here
click here
click here

thegreypanther 12:53 20 Aug 2010

Many thanks for the replies.
Even though my profile on Facebook is about as negligible as it is possible to get, the email required for signing-up / logging in must be the culprit.
Anyway, Mandy Herrington's junk is now filtered out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?