Mandriva 2007 Free Problem

Legolas 15:45 26 Jan 2007

I seen this Linux OS in a mag and proceeded to download the DVD Edition what I cannot understand is that the DVD edition only shows up as a 341mb d/l this is supposed to replace the need to d/l the four iso disks of about 650mb each I am puzzeled as the link I d/loaded it from says it is a 4.3gb d/l hence the need for DVD SO WHY DOES THE D/L SHOW UP AS 341MB.

Anyway I d/l it and tried to burn it to DVD for some reason this would not work I then tried to burn it cd-r this worked ok so the d/l is definately 341mb and not the 4.3gb it is supposed to be has anyone sucessfully d/l and installed this Linux OS

Legolas 19:56 26 Jan 2007

I downloaded the 4 disk iso's and burnt them to cd-r the install went ok till it came to the login I entered my Login and password it then came up with [email protected] a few symbols and a flashing cursor I suppose it was waiting for some input from me although I have no idea what. In all the guides for installing this OS I have seen online this was never mentioned after install it always just went into the Linux desktop after login anyone ant ideas

Legolas 19:57 26 Jan 2007

Sorry I dont want ant ideas of course I want any ideas lol

dth 20:53 26 Jan 2007

The DVD download sounds a bit dodgy - as there is little point to having a DVD of such a small size. Something has obviously gone wrong somewhere.

If you want to try a Linus distribution may I suggest that you give OpenSUSE a go instead. You can download either a set of CDs or a DVD from:-

click here

dms05 21:36 26 Jan 2007

Try PCLinuxOS click here and download the LiveCd v0.93 Big Daddy. You can run this from the CD. If you like it you install it from the Linux Desktop via a shortcut. I did and it worked very well.

You will feel at home as PCLinuxOS has a look'n feel of XP. It's also very easy to configure.

Legolas 10:53 27 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies unfortunately I cannot now get my laptop to boot no power at all so at the moment the above will have to be put on hold. I shut it down last night as usual and this morning nothing not a flicker grrrr. At least I still have my desktop system :-)

Greengage 12:56 27 Jan 2007

I experienced exactly the same as Legolas in his opening comment so I am going to try the suggestions of dth & dms05.

stylehurst 13:20 27 Jan 2007

I can also thoroughly recommend PCLinuxOS,and other alternative is Knoppix

Legolas 18:54 27 Jan 2007

dms05 tried your suggestion and it is ok till I try to set up my wireless connection which is an Intel wirelessPro3945abg after having looked on the Internet for tips it seems to be a long and complicated affair and a bit beyond me to set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?