Manafacturers XP disc onto a new H/D

Sparkly 07:18 06 Mar 2006

Hi everyone i have an advent pc that is about 2 years old now and has been giving lots of problems,it came with xp preinstalled, i have a recvery disk to reinstall xp but its not an original microsoft disc can you tell me if i fit a new 200gig H/D in a machine and put the advent operating system disc in will it format and install the xp system on to the new H/D.
Cheers.

Graham ® 08:15 06 Mar 2006

Don't think so. A recovery disc is just that, it's not an installation disc.

You could use a program like Norton Ghost (handy to have anyway) and copy the old to the new.

Djohn 08:24 06 Mar 2006

No, but you can try copying the i386 folder off the drive. This contains all the xp operating system then make a new disk with just this info on, insert into drive after installing new hard drive and see if you can boot from the new CD.

spuds 10:36 06 Mar 2006

As this would be a system builder OEM product on your computer, the alternative that may may need to consider is a new purchase XP Home oem from perhaps Ebuyer (about £68.00).Might make life easier later on!.

Smiler 12:02 06 Mar 2006

Why not try it and see at worse I think it would just refuse to install.
Alternatively use the recovery disc with the old drive to go back to original condition then install the new drive as a second hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone