man of steel11

man of steel11 17:20 01 Feb 2006

i have deleated my pci communications controler by mistake when i was reinstalling my soundcard can i get it back?

Totally-braindead 17:23 01 Feb 2006

What operating system do you have Win XP Win 98? Next posting perhaps a title that explained what the problem was might be better, something like "deleted PCI controller by mistake"

SG Atlantis® 17:23 01 Feb 2006

system restore?

You should have used a title that described your problem, and secondly you should have given more details about your computer.

man of steel11 17:36 01 Feb 2006

sorry folks...<<<numb brain forgot..lol its a xp home

man of steel11 18:11 01 Feb 2006

i tried doing a system restore..but no joy.I didnt want to creat a restore point incase i need it in the future for something serious..is there any other way to do this?

Totally-braindead 18:16 01 Feb 2006

Create a restore point? That isn't what SG Atlantis® means, he means use system restore to go back to a time when your computer was working ok, in other words to a time before you deleted the commumications device.
By the way this device is a modem, if you're using the same PC to connect to the internet then you must be on Broadband and can ignore the modem if you wish as you're not using it. Otherwise run the system restore wizard and go to a date before you deleted it or have a dig through your disks for the modem driver and reinstall it.

man of steel11 18:28 01 Feb 2006

thx totaly braindead..me thinks i should set the bar to about 5% to add more restore points..is that right?

Totally-braindead 18:31 01 Feb 2006

You must have altered it, by default I think it sets itself up about 12%. As I understand it when it runs out of space it just deletes the older restore point. It does no harm and can be very useful.

Forum Editor 18:37 01 Feb 2006

WindowsXP will roll old ones off the bottom of the list. It's always worth setting a restore point manually if you are about to alter the hardware configuration of your computer.

It's too late for you to do that now, but you can use the add/remove hardware tool in Control panel. Select the option to have Windows scan for new hardware, and with luck it might pick up the missing controller.

PaulB2005 18:38 01 Feb 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?