Malwarebytes finds Microsoft security problems

birdface 17:02 22 Mar 2009

Hi.I ran malwarebytes and it found 3 security problems with Microsoft.Thinking it may have been false positives I left them and updated Malwarebytes and it still found the same problems.So I decided to delete them.And after a reboot red shield popped up that automatic updates were not working.
I usually update manually so was not sure what was going on,

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1883
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

22/03/2009 09:27:02
mbam-log-2009-03-22 (09-27-02).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65191
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I decided to update and run A squared full scan which took over 2 hours and a box appeared at the end of the scan that there was a problem with Microsoft updates[something like that ] and to send to A squared for them to have a look at.The only thing mentioned on the log was a tracking cookie and no mention of any problems with Microsoft Automatic Updates so not sure if I have a problem or not.
I do have automatic updates ticked for not to show problems.But they have automatically been reticked hence the red warning icon when I reboot.

Just a matter of unticking them again so no big problem.
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problems.

mfletch 17:07 22 Mar 2009

They are just telling you that you have altered the way your security center works

Its nothing to worry about and tel MBAM to ignore in future scans

birdface 17:15 22 Mar 2009

Yes but not really altered it.I have had it set like that for about 2 years just wondering why Malwarebytes should have problems with it now.
But like you say I will get them to ignore it in the future.
Just a bit curious why Both Ant-Malware programs should now find something at the same time.
Would it or should it just be classed as False positive.

sunnystaines 17:19 22 Mar 2009

had same result with mbam and deleted its findings, no adverse effects since they were on a XP machine same scan on vista came up clean.

mfletch 17:22 22 Mar 2009

It just started happening because MBAM people have just added to there data base to pick-up if the security center has been altered

I also had the same

birdface 17:51 22 Mar 2009

Thank you both for your help.I can now treat this as resolved.I will have MBAM to ignore them in the future.many thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache