Is Malwarebytes effective?

thumbscrew 15:09 17 Nov 2010

I've had the free Malwarebytes for a couple of years now and, in that time I've scanned my system for threats...both full and quick scan.....countless times...every few days. There has never been one time when it has claimed to have found anything, I always get a clean bill of health. While I welcome this of course, I find it difficult to accept that, in this time I have never been infected, as I must admit occasionally I have strayed on to some dodgy sites! Can anyone tell me if, in their opinion there are more effective freebies out there?

naineysman 15:12 17 Nov 2010

got the nephews laptop here, bugged out to the extent I had to run rkill first then malwarebytes. sorted (almost)

thumbscrew 15:14 17 Nov 2010

Sheesh that was quick....cheers.

KremmenUK 15:15 17 Nov 2010

I ran MalwareBytes on my work PC and it found quite a few even though we have Sophos doing the business.

At home though it finds nothing although I suspect Norton may have got their first.

naineysman 15:16 17 Nov 2010

as I'm not quick sorted yet (see other post)

Also I suppose it does depend on where you have been with your browser, my squeaky clean mate has never seen a virus either?

naineysman 15:16 17 Nov 2010

dyslexic fingers

birdface 15:24 17 Nov 2010

What other security programs do you have running.
Since I started using the Pay for Emisoft Antimalware I have removed Malwarebytes as i feel it is no longer needed.
But it came to my sons rescue the other day Downloaded and ran MSE and it found nothing.
So downloaded malwarebytes and ran that and it found over 85 problems some of them trojans and Malware.
So it does no harm to keep it on your computer and just run it occasionally.

onthelimit 15:25 17 Nov 2010

I've been using for quite a while now to sort infected computers. The most it found was over 900 bugs so, yes, I believe it works very well. You're either very careful or very lucky!

961 15:34 17 Nov 2010

The free version works

It's found nothing, you are lucky or have effective security software

Stray a little further...give it a real test!

thumbscrew 16:18 17 Nov 2010

Thanks all,ok I'll keep it and I'm keen to add another if anyone's got any suggestions.

birdface 16:29 17 Nov 2010

HitmanPro is very good.
It is free until it finds any problems then it puts you on a months free trial and you would have to pay after that.
But it is very quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?