Malware - possibly Trojan

Drpeter 19:11 10 Nov 2006

Within the last few days, my computer has picked up some Malware, which tries to download through my Fresh Download program. So far, I think I have prevented the download, though I have been asked whether I want to save “filter.bin” – which I have refused. The URL trying to download is “toolbar.live.com/static/sm/03.01.0000.0072/addressParametes/” - I have purposely left out the start and last part of the address, so that it cannot corrupt someone else i.e. it ends “filters.bin”.
None of my security programs have picked it up, though all are updated daily.
I presume that this is a Trojan, or a Trojan trying to download.
Can anyone advise me how to get rid of it?
With many thanks,
Peter

Details of my system:-
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
AVG Free 7.5.430
Spybot 1.3.0.12
Spywareblaster 3.5.1
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1

VoG II 19:14 10 Nov 2006

I may be completely wrong but I think that this is a Microsoft product click here

birdface 20:25 10 Nov 2006

Try Running A Squared .click here Full scan, takes a while.

birdface 20:36 10 Nov 2006

Looks as though it is the windows one, Or an add on to it.

Drpeter 22:17 10 Nov 2006

VoG - you might be right, BUT I have never come across a Microsoft product which attempt to download itself, when I have never requested it. Also it persists in trying to download, despite my cancelling the download - repeatedly. In fact, I can only stop it, by using the Task Manager!
I am very suspicious that this is NOT a valid Microsoft product, but one trying to make me think it is. I will try A Squared tomorrow unless someone else comes up with any more suggestions.
Many thanks - all the same!

birdface 22:37 10 Nov 2006

Was Wondering about the .com at the end.

birdface 23:14 10 Nov 2006

You could Run this, Just the full service scan, Takes a while but it is good,click here

VoG II 10:32 11 Nov 2006

I think it may be the Windows Live Toolbar trying to update itself.

Can you give the full URL - if you don't want it shown on the forum please send it to me by clicking my yellow envelope.

It may be worth clearing out your temporary files click here

VoG II 11:10 11 Nov 2006

Thanks for the URL.

The file that it is trying to download isn't malicious. This is the lookup result for the URL - it is indeed Microsoft click here

Drpeter 11:25 11 Nov 2006

Hi Peter at VoG!
Taken your advice and ran CleanUp - I normally use CCleaner too.
I note your last message confirming that the download was not malicious, BUT it was one heck of a nuisance!
Thanks for your time in solving the problem,
Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?