Malware or virus

phil.cooper 14:25 13 Feb 2009

My laptop has managed to accept the biggest problem I have ever had. 'Privacy Componets' it starts it's screen, after loggin in. It then starts a scan and then it is impossible to remove it. I have AVG anti-virus (free addition) but unable to access it. It is possible to get on line through it's screen via click here, this looks like a hyjacked page but it is possible to open any other page. I loaded down SpyBot hoping to try and remove this crap. It loaded ok but would not let run as it said I was not the adminastrator, I am. I have a boot disk by Ultimate PC Engineer, the laptop will not boot-up from disk. Any genuine help would be great.

crosstrainer 14:36 13 Feb 2009

Download, update and run the free version:

click here

phil.cooper 21:22 13 Feb 2009

thanks crosstrainer tried that, I cannot access the desktop as 'Privacy Componets' window does not allow any control of drives or opperating software, after downloading i cannot access any software.

phil.cooper 21:34 13 Feb 2009

When will Bill Gates face up to his resposibilities of providing a worthwhile opperating system.
Up to-date he has only issued sub-standard bug ridden software, ripping off everyone for billions pounds. I am sure that the lowlife scum that write virus, malware, trojens and other crap could do a better job.
See my earlier problem, I rest my case.
For those of you good folks out there I use Vista.

tullie 21:55 13 Feb 2009

I also use Vista with no problems,are you blaming Microsoft because youve masybe picked up an infection?

rdave13 22:01 13 Feb 2009

Seeing you know about writing software for operating systems then you should have guessed to try removing the malware you have through safe mode.
I know you had forgotten this so I thought a gentle reminder to your expertise.
PS., of course you know which antimalware to run so no need for any advice from here.

phil.cooper 22:35 13 Feb 2009

Thanks to rdave13, maybe you would like to research 'Privacy Componets' It seams to stop the use of safe mode, it does the same in safe mode as it does from normal start up, that is when promted for the password, then entered and getting the welcome response, about 20 seconds later only the 'Privacy Componets' page appears
there is no desktop, so I am unable to access any program. It also won't allow any boot disc to load. Also tried restore to a previous date, this don't work either.

tullie thanks for your comment: there are those who have experienced problems and those that are going to! There are many experts that have made the same comments ongoing for over twenty years.

DieSse 23:20 13 Feb 2009

One method of attacking this type of infection, is to take out the hard drive, attach it to a different (well protected!!) system, and scan it with a good AV and Anti-Spyware package.

NOD32 AV

Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Anti-Spyware.

harrodski11 02:59 14 Feb 2009

I would try various virus scanners until you get rid of it. Avira and NOD32 are good free examples.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?