Malware masquerading as Tiscali updates?

Batch 16:20 30 Mar 2007

Have just received an email from "Tiscali Team" (at noreply@uk.tiscali.com) purporting to warn that there maybe modem compatibility problems with Vista and providing a link to download updated drivers.

I can only assume that this is some sort of link to a malware download - so be warned!

p;3 17:20 30 Mar 2007

I presume you opened the e mail without first previewing it in mailwasher to check its authenticity?

Batch 17:27 30 Mar 2007

I viewed the mail by right-clicking it, selecting Properties, clicking on the Details Tab and then viewing Message Source (all within OE).

VoG II 17:31 30 Mar 2007

Unless click here was the link.

p;3 17:39 30 Mar 2007

click here this little gem is a useful tool to help with previewing mails on server and keeps the rubbish off the comp
I for one would not be without it now; you could try it and see its uses

Batch 17:40 30 Mar 2007

Don't know - I've deleted the message. But in any case, if it was genuine, it is rather remiss of Tiscali to publish it in that way. They should have directed users to a link in the standard Tiscali web site. No way would I download anything via a link in an unsolicited email.

Batch 17:41 30 Mar 2007

Thanks p;3. I have tried it before and just found it laborious. I don't get much spam and am well protected otherwise anyhow.

p;3 17:44 30 Mar 2007

out of pure interest; what was it you found 'laborious' with it?

Batch 17:54 30 Mar 2007

It was some time agoe, but from what I recall, it presented all the mails in a window for review and then one clicked / selected various options to have the mails handled appropriately.

In the short term I found it just as easy to set-up rules in OE to redirect mails in to separate mailboxes and then just delete en-masse wheer necessary. But the real solution was to eradicate the spam by changing my email addresses. It took a bit of doing, but life is much smoother now.

Totally-braindead 17:59 30 Mar 2007

Thats not the best of it. I contacted Tiscali last week about Vista and the drivers for the modems, they said that there are no Sagem drivers but there are Speedtouch ones. Now according to this email the opposite is true, there are no Speedtouch ones but there is one available for Sagem. They even sent me a Speedtouch modem to replace my faulty Sagem one.
I have never dealt with such an incompetant bunch of idiots. Usually when they bother to reply to anything they tell you about something that has nothing to do with what you asked. Now if this email is genuine they are telling me the exact opposite of what they told me last week.
No wonder I'm confused.
I had thought of moving to another provider of BB and this has finally decided me as there customer service is pathetic.

Stuartli 18:32 30 Mar 2007

There are Speedtouch Vista drivers in Beta form - I posted details a few days ago.

I couldn't find any Sagem equivalents at the time though. See:

See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?