Is this malware?

Pineman100 16:41 24 Mar 2006

My Norton Internet Security firewall popped up yesterday and informed me that voblaizdupla.exe was attempting to connect to the internet. Playing it safe, I chose No - Never. This executable file now sits in my list of programs, listed in the firewall as "blocked".
But what is it? Does anyone know if it's a Trojan or malware of any kind? I have searched the knowledge bases at both Symantec and Microsoft, and they produce no results at all.

VoG II 16:45 24 Mar 2006

It appears to be a new trojan click here

click here

Pineman100 16:58 24 Mar 2006

I did read the Lockergnome forum (found on Google) but as I know nothing about it, I wanted to get an opinion from a forum I trust (ie: this one!).
What would you do about this trojan? It doesn't appear in my add/remove programs list. Is it safe simply to delete the executable file?

VoG II 16:59 24 Mar 2006

I would scan with Ewido as advised in my second 'click here'.

Pineman100 17:08 24 Mar 2006

Sorry, VoG, I didn't spot your second link. I'll try that - many thanks.

Pineman100 19:09 25 Mar 2006

OK - since my last post on this topic I did the following yesterday evening (Friday):-

Downloaded, updated and scanned with Ewido. It found a few adware cookies, but nothing relating to voblaizdupla.exe .

Updated and ran full scans with all of the following: Norton Internet Security/Antivirus, Microsoft Windows Defender, Adaware SE and Spybot S&D. None of them identified this file as a threat.

Does anyone have any more information about this .exe file, please.

By the way, when I looked in my Internet Explorer Favourites list tonight, all the icone had been changed to a new one that I've never seen before. A globe with a page showing a smaller globe in front of it. Would Ewido have done this, or should I be worried?

Many thanks for anyone's thoughts on this whole topic.

ACOLYTE 19:17 25 Mar 2006

click here
these seen to think its a trojan,but i dont think anyoone knows for sure what to do with it yet.

Pineman100 20:14 25 Mar 2006

As you suggested, the Prevx website says that Prevx1 will find and eliminate voblaizdupla.exe. I downloaded it, and ran a full scan - it reported finding nothing! I've checked again and bl**dy voblaizdupla is still there!

Can anyone tell me whether it's safe for me simply to delete the executable file, please?

ACOLYTE 20:19 25 Mar 2006

Delete it and keep it in the recycle bin a few days
if nothing untoward happens delete it totaly.

Pineman100 15:44 27 Mar 2006

Voblaizdupla.exe has gone! My earlier response to Acolyte was a load of rubbish - Prevx1 *did* remove the Trojan. The reason I didn't spot this was because I had been looking in my C:\Windows\PREFETCH folder for its signature - and this remained even after the executable file had gone. I have now deleted the contents of my Prefetch folder and this last remnant of the thing had gone. Phew!

Huge thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

ACOLYTE 16:24 27 Mar 2006

Glad it's sorted)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone