Malawarebytes detects PUP.Optional Sweet packs

john bunyan 12:54 30 Aug 2013
Answered

Recently on two PC's Malawrebytes has detected "PuP.Optional.SweetlM.A"

potential malware, in a few registry entries. SAS did not detect them - neither did Avira anti virus. Maybe coincidentally my Avira anti virus was showing in Action Centre as not running and after a number of attempts I solved it by uninstalling and re installing. I have told MBAM to remove the threats. Google gives mixed views. Does anyone have a view as to how these get in - (I have W7, up to date, Avira a/v plus active web protection, Spywareblaster, MBAN, SAS, IE10)

Woolwell 13:07 30 Aug 2013

Have you installed any freeware recently?

john bunyan 13:25 30 Aug 2013

Woolwell

No, not that I recall

Woolwell 14:17 30 Aug 2013

This sort of malware often comes via "optional" extras of a download.

I've not been able to post or access the site for a while.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 30 Aug 2013

Quite a few threads in the forum for this menace

Usually it comes packaged an add on to an install for something else but in your case probably slipped in while Avira was not running.

I would worry slightly as to why Avira stopped and therefore would recommend a full scan with an on-line Antivirus like Hitman pro.

john bunyan 15:28 30 Aug 2013

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks. Wilco. Will report back. A full Avira found one more.

john bunyan 15:41 30 Aug 2013

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Have now run newly installed updated Avira, SAS, MBAM and on you suggestion Hitman Pro. Clear so will keep fingers crossed and check again soon. Curious that MBAB found it and the others did not.

john bunyan 15:43 30 Aug 2013

Sorry. In my penultimate post I wrongly said Avira found one - it was in fact MBAAM full scan that found it

Secret-Squirrel 18:05 30 Aug 2013
Answer

"Curious that MBAB found it and the others did not"

That's probably because it's not strictly malware. As suggested by Woolwell earlier, you almost certainly picked up that nuisance when you installed a freebie and didn't look closely enough at what else was going to be installed (such as the "Sweetpacks Toolbar" etc).

"Malawrebytes has detected "PuP.Optional.SweetlM.A"

MBAM's classification is that it's a PUP (potentially unwanted program) and it's optional whether you want to remove it or not. You may also have noticed that MBAM didn't automatically select it for removal after the scan had completed.

So basically, you weren't really "infected" with anything malicious. Just keep an eye on what you install the next time you download a free program.

Tonsie 18:12 30 Aug 2013

To day I updated MBAM,then run it and found 7 of these Pup risks.Ran MBAM later and no infections.I use the free MBAM and have Norton IS. Regards Tonsie.

john bunyan 19:06 30 Aug 2013

Secret-Squirrel

Thanks; I am usually careful but sometimes these things slip by. I removed those found with MBAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?