making windows 7 safe for children

pookie 13:04 30 Oct 2010

Hi

Thinking of getting son a windows 7 laptop for homework as he has just started senior school (11 years old). On my own xp pc I have free avast, pc tools firewall and spywareblaster as security. Would I install the same for windows 7?

What is the best way to restrict the websites he can view? Should I forget about the free security and get a paid for one that has some sort of parential control on it? Or are there parential controls you can tick within IE8 or Opera browers?

Many thanks

P

pompyx 13:11 30 Oct 2010

This might be worth looking at pookie.

click here

hastelloy 13:57 30 Oct 2010

pompyx's link gives you info on parental control and there is a link to Windows Live Family safety click here. I have no experience of these but, for Windows 7, can recommend MSE click here with Windows Firewall, Superantispyware and Nalwarebytes. CCleaner is also an invaluable tool click here.

hastelloy 13:58 30 Oct 2010

Nalwarebyte = Malwarebytes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 30 Oct 2010

Marvin42's recommendations for protecting a W7 machine are excellent.

Parental controls are built into W7 click here

Gongoozler 16:10 30 Oct 2010

I recommend K9 web protection. I don't know how it compares with Windows 7s own control, but I have found it very good. click here

Forum Editor 16:26 30 Oct 2010

and about to start senior school he will very soon be capable of circumventing any parental controls you might put in place. If he doesn't work it out for himself, someone at school will 'educate' him.

At his age he'll rapidly develop an interest in seeing the things you don't want him to see, and the best you can hope to do is postpone the day.

I'm an advocate of talking to children about the darker side of the web, and explaining why parents don't want them to explore too much. It's not an argument you'll ultimately win, but you have an opportunity to prepare your child for the experience. I clearly remember talking to one of my daughters - she was twelve at the time - about some of the nasties waiting out there; I was about two minutes into my 'let's be friends about this' lecture when I looked into her eyes and realised I might just as well talk to the tree in the garden - she had that 'for God's sake dad, give it a rest' look.

Good luck with whatever strategy you adopt.

rdave13 16:54 30 Oct 2010

I agree that Windows 7 has a good parental control feature especially combined with Windows Live Family Safety 2011. Unfortunately you'll also need an administrative account on his laptop, simply to enforce these parental controls (or any other you decide to use). I doubt if that will go down well seeing as the laptop will be his own 'personal' computer.
I'm agreeing with the Forum Editor here and just try to talk sense in a friendly way.
So my first suggestion would be to burn the recovery discs. You'll no doubt have to use them at some stage.
Use Win 7 firewall control, the free version; click here

I highly recommend Avast 5 for AV.

I'd either pay a one-off payment for Superantispyware (for real-time protection) or Malwarebytes.
Spywareblaster for blocking.
Ccleaner for maintenance.
Then keep fingers crossed that he's at leased listened a little about 'safe surfing'.

pookie 21:38 30 Oct 2010

Many thanks indeed for the replies!

Wish me luck :-)

P

pookie 20:28 31 Oct 2010

Hi

Got the laptop and set up the parential controls - thanks.

One thing though, I have installed avast and it has updated ok etc. However, in security settings it says that both defender and avast are installed. I can't find defender anywhere to uninstall it. It doesn't come up under control panel/programs.

Will they conflict?

pompyx 21:10 31 Oct 2010

I have just installed Win 7 on a friends Laptop, and initially ran both Avast and Windows defender together, but found the Toshiba ran slower with both running so used avast only.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?