Making Space on SSD, using HDD as secondry drive

danlawless 17:12 04 Oct 2017

HI, Ive been searching for information on how to make room on my SSD as it is full and I cant download anything to my computer. i have a secondary HDD that is almost empty! i thought that i had set up my files and programs to save to the HDD but they haven't. I want to keep things like my OS, AutoCad and other programs on my SSD still for the speed but i have absolutely no idea what i can move or delete off the SSD.I fumble my way through my computer, not sure about a lot of things.

I am hesitant to remove programs such as AutoCad from my computer as I don't have the log in information to download it anymore as it was a free product as a student, but I haven't been in school for 2 years and that offer has now expired if you hadn't already downloaded the program. my OS is windows 10, and I have been looking this info up on a computer running windows 7, trying to follow along with what people have been saying but I'm not sure if its the same between the two different versions of OS. also I was curious if anyone is sure the file "mover" for steam games is legit, I'm cautious when downloading these things.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 04 Oct 2017

Once programs are installed they are hard to move to a different drive without uninstalling and reinstalling - there are programs that will do this but they are costly.

What you can do is move things like your "User folder" which will contain all your downloads picture and videos to the HDD. see here

You can use programs like CCleaner to get rid of junk files and delete all but the last restore point to clear more space on the SSD.

When you Install new programs always click on "custom install " there you can browse or create a folder to where you want the program saved, instead of it always installing to the C:\Program files folder d

danlawless 18:01 04 Oct 2017

Great, I'm gonna give this a shot. I had another thought.Can I have my programs running off the SSD,such as AutoCad, but I want to save to the HDD automatically ie. the backup file or if I have a template that I use instead of creating a new one everytime I start a new file? or does that all have to be saved to the same Drive as where the program files are stored? I hope that makes sense. Like I mentioned, I fumble my way around the computer, trying to make better sense of it all still.

Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 04 Oct 2017

Some programs may allow you to save /move you data to a location of your choice others will only store in the programs folder where it is installed - all you can do with progs like your Autocad is to look through the options and see waht it will allow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 04 Oct 2017

Regarding your mention of moving steam games this article says you can also use steam mover to move apps to another drive.

wee eddie 21:54 04 Oct 2017

Don't remove any of the Programs but you can use the "Send To" function to send your Files to your HDD.

When you are satisfied that you have successfully carried out the transfer you can delete them from your SSD without a qualm. I would do this in small batches, which would make it fairly easy to check for success/failure.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?