Making phone calls in Outlook 2003/7

douglas1973 23:33 31 Jan 2011

In the Contacts folder in Outlook 2003/2007 there is an icon looking like a telephone receiver in each individual Contact folder. On placing the mouse over the icon the following appears: "Call this contact using the phone or instant messages". What hardware do I require to make calls other than a router/modem? (I have immense difficulty in understanding what the difference is between a router and a modem!. I do use Skype but it would be more convenient for me to use Outlook to make calls.

Woolwell 10:47 01 Feb 2011

A router distributes data to whatever is connected to it (eg pc, network storage device or printer) and is most frequently used to route the internet by cable or wirelessly to a desktop, laptop or other device.
A modem gets and send the data down the line. There are 2 different types of modem one for broadband and the other for dial-up/telephone.
To make a call over a telephone line you would need a dial-up modem, a mike and preferably a headset. However you could use VOIP like Skype.
Personally I wouldn't bother as when I used it (admittedly a long time ago) the quality wasn't good and most modern computers do not come with a dial-up modem. Note too that calls made this way will cost the same as normal telpehone calls.

Woolwell 10:51 01 Feb 2011

ps You can add Outlook contacts to Skype but such calls may not be free.

douglas1973 12:26 01 Feb 2011

Thanks very much Woolwell for your excellent explanation on the difference between a router and a modem. I finally understand the difference between them!
Yes, I am reluctant to install a dial up modem. Using Skype seeems a better idea. I already have all my Contacts in it but how do I go about making a connection to Skype from Outlook?

Woolwell 13:06 01 Feb 2011

I haven't used this so I don't know how it works but you probably need the Skype e-mail toolbar click here. However unless you subscribe to Skype you can only make free calls to Skype contacts.

douglas1973 20:50 01 Feb 2011

Thanks very much Woolwell. It works! I am very grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?