Making laptop wireless

blondemoment 09:52 31 Jan 2009

Hi
I have just recently connected wireless to my computer.
I would also like to connect a laptop wireless. I have a USB wireless dongle. I was advised to put the yellow wire into my laptop so that it recognises the connection info. The yellow wire will not fit in my laptop. How can i set up the settings on my laptop so we can use it anywhere?

birdface 09:55 31 Jan 2009

How old is the laptop.Is there no wireless already on it.

blondemoment 10:05 31 Jan 2009

I don't think it has, how can i check this?

Graham. 10:10 31 Jan 2009

Make and model?

blondemoment 19:36 31 Jan 2009

packard bell easy one dc

Graham. 23:42 31 Jan 2009

Oh dear, your laptop is quite old. If it hasn't got a USB port, you will not be able to use it wireless.

keverne 23:54 31 Jan 2009

Looking at click here this laptop has a PCMCIA slot.

Something like click here will give wireless access.

blondemoment 12:10 01 Feb 2009

i have got usb port for the wireless adapter. But how do i set it up so i can use it wireless. Not sure how to set up so it finds the router.

Graham. 19:33 01 Feb 2009

Connect the wireless adapter, then Start, Connect to.

It should show your router, click Connect. It may then ask for a Network key, should be on the router.

woodchip 19:38 01 Feb 2009

If you have a Wireless Dongle, Load the CD that you got with the Dongle, then plug it into USB after. You will need to get or and Setup Wireless in the Wireless router if it is one also setup Encryption so no one else can use your connection without the key that you create to load into your Dongle Software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?