Making free telephone calls via internet

astra46 21:48 21 Feb 2004

Has anyone used Skype?

This enables you to make free telephone calls using the internet.

astra46 21:49 21 Feb 2004

Look here:-

click here

Audeal 22:08 21 Feb 2004

Must be full of adverts and Spyware. To good to be true, especially as it comes from Kazaa.

Valvegrid 22:22 21 Feb 2004

I think you would be very wise in reading the following before signing up:

click here

click here

click here

'out for n'out?

Jason-211945 23:02 21 Feb 2004

Having read the info (see previous message) and given the fact that KaZaa is stamped all over it, I'd leave well enough alone!

Don't get sumfin' fer nuthin' in this life baby!

johnnyrocker 23:29 21 Feb 2004

well i have/had it and it dont work basically, specially on broadband so out the window it's going.

johnny.

Wak 10:26 22 Feb 2004

Hi, I downloaded Skype as it seemed to be a really good freebie but after reading all the instructions and blurb, it turns out (as far as I can see) that the only people you can phone for free are other Skype users.
I think it also mentioned that it was also only for a trial period and then they charged you.
Hardly a freebie!
Suffice to say it was uninstalled.

Valvegrid 17:34 22 Feb 2004

It does say it's free to DOWNLOAD. Also in the End User Licence Agreement:

6. Payment.

You acknowledge that certain functions in the Skype Software are only available to paid subscribers after a free trial period of the Skype Software and Services (the "Free Trial Period") ends. After the Free Trial Period ends, you will be presented with the option to subscribe to the Subscription Services. If you do not wish to subscribe, you acknowledge that you can not access functions and services only available to paid subscribers. To subscribe to the Subscription Services you must agree to the terms and conditions of the Subscription Services.

Also this in the legal notice:

Governing Law

By accessing this Site, you and Skype agree that all matters relating to your access to, or use of, this Site shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law.

I'm not sure how this relates to the Telephony Regulations in the UK, sounds like they are covering their rear end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone