make your own recovery disk

QUADDRA 12:37 10 Sep 2008

Hi, This is probably an easy one to answer..
My Mum and Dad have just decided to enter the computer world and have purchased a HP laptop, all ok.
The instructions say that before you use it you have to make your own recovery disks,
My Question is what media should you use DVD - R or CD - R or +R or doesn’t it matter?
Thanks

PO79 12:44 10 Sep 2008

I would opt for DVD-R or CD-R depending on the size of disc required. I would also make a back up copy in case the original gets damaged or lost.

lotvic 12:46 10 Sep 2008

HP say DVD+R
"You need approximately 2 blank DVD+R discs (compared to approximately blank 11 CDs). The Disc Creator software program states how many discs are needed at the beginning of the process"
click here for a pictorial walk through

provider 2 12:47 10 Sep 2008

It does matter. Check this out:

click here

lotvic 12:54 10 Sep 2008

good link provider 2 :)
I have bookmarked it, thanks

provider 2 13:02 10 Sep 2008

lotvic,

I think yours is better but with both of them to refer to, what can go wrong (?).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 10 Sep 2008

Good to make the disks, just remember they will return the machine to the state you bought it only if the hard drive is not damaged.

A good investment is to buy something like Acronis True Image click here and make regular copies of the drive
Then you could install the copy to any drive if your drive goes faulty + Its restores (in approx 10 mins) to state you made the last copy (including all updates, your data / pictures favouites etc.

Cheaper versions of acronis can be found from Amazon etc.

QUADDRA 22:20 10 Sep 2008

PO79, lotvic, provider 2, and Fruit Bat /\0/\

All done now, but what a long job.... Dads 82, he was 72 when we started :-) just kidding.
Dad is 82 and Mum isnt far behind so I was quite impressed that they managed to stay interested.ish and awake!

We ended up using 3 Philips DVD-R disks. Hope we never have to use them again.

Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?