Make XP remember passwords!!

Daveym 20:08 03 May 2005

My Toshiba laptop wont remember passwords. When I log onto sites ie Ebay and tick "remember password" - it never does. Also it won't keep my Outlook express password and won't keep my Google search sites in cache. I am on XP pro. Any ideas please.

Dave M

mattyc_92 20:41 03 May 2005

I get the search cache thing that you are talking about...

I don't know what courses this, but the password problem, just go to "control pannel->user accounts->your account" then click onto the "manage networked passwords" option on the left...

Now just follow the instructions on the screen e.g. type in the website address and then the details to remember and click "OK" to store it

QuickHare 20:57 03 May 2005

Internet Explorer should be able to remember cookies, if they are allowed. Start Internet Explorer, and go to Tools, Internet Options. Select Privacy (tab) and configure the options in there to something that allows cookies. "First party" means cookies that are set by the server you are directly contacting. "Third party" refers to cookies that are set by other websites along the way.... You may also wish to remember session cookies - cookies set only while the browser is open, and no longer. This will help with eBay, but does also leave you open to tracking cookies set by advertisers.

To remember forms, such as Google, you may wish to look in Internet Options at the AutoComplete settings. If they are corrupt, turn them off, clear them, and log off. Log back on and switch it back on again (or just switch on if they were originally off) and you should be ok.

Hope something from this lot helps!

VoG II 21:04 03 May 2005
  Daveym 21:10 03 May 2005

Thanks folks. Tried the auto complete thingy but to no avail.They were already ticked but I will keep workin on it. Ta

Dave M

QuickHare 16:19 08 May 2005

If they are already ticked, switch them off and restart, then turn them back on. This clears the Registry of any bad or corrupted data.

johnandlin 23:03 23 May 2005

I have a similar probelm. I ask my computer to remember ebay sign on, various forum signons and some credit card stuff. For a couple of days it remembers, but then it seems to forget and I have to retype again and tick the "remember my details" box.
It's a pain and only seems to have started since I loaded the latest security patches for XP.
Could that be the cause ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?